Moderately compact helix antennas with cutoff patterns for millimeter RTK positioning
- 755 Downloads
Helical antennas have been developed that feature a cutoff pattern and are suitable for practical positioning at millimeter level. The antennas are in the form of a tube with 3 cm in diameter and 40 cm in height. The antennas provide 20-dB suppression of the reflections from the earth surface, starting from low elevations. Open sky tests have demonstrated that the multipath contribution to the real-time positioning error falls below thermal noise. By smoothing the noise, these antennas achieve a positioning accuracy of 1 mm RMS in the vertical coordinate and 0.7 mm in the horizontal in almost real time.
KeywordsSatellite positioning Real-time kinematic Multipath error Cutoff pattern Helix antenna
The authors would like to acknowledge Dr. Lev Rapoport for developing a special version of the RTK engine.
- Best SR (2004) A 7-turn multi-step quadrifilar helix antenna providing high phase center stability and low angle multipath rejection for GPS applications. In: Proceedings of IEEE antennas and propagation society international symposium, vol 2004, pp 2899–2902Google Scholar
- Caillet M, Cl´enet M, Sharaiha A, Antar Y M M (2010) A Broadband Folded Printed Quadrifilar Helical Antenna Employing a Novel Compact Planar Feeding Circuit. IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 58(7): 2203–2208Google Scholar
- Leick A, Rapoport L, Tatarnikov D (2015) GPS satellite surveying, 4th edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lopez AR (2008) LAAS/GBAS ground reference antenna with enhanced mitigation of ground multipath. In: Proceedings of ION ITM 2008, Institute of Navigation, San Diego, California, 28–30 Jan 2008, pp 389–393Google Scholar
- Mader G, Bilich A, Tatarnikov D (2014) Experimental results from “BigAnt”, a large format antenna for high quality geodetic ground stations. In: IGS workshop 2014, June 23–27, Pasadena, CA, USAGoogle Scholar
- Sharaiha A, Rabemanantsoa J (2012) A miniature dielectrically loaded spiral folded printed quadrifilar helix antenna for gps dual-band applications. In: Proceedings of ISAP 2012, Nagoya, Japan, 2012, pp 1425–1428Google Scholar
- Tatarnikov D, Astakhov A (2013) Large impedance ground plane antennas for mm-accuracy of GNSS positioning in real time. In: Proceedings of progress in electromagnetic research symposium PIERS 2013, Stockholm, Sweden, pp 1825–1829Google Scholar
- Tatarnikov D, Astakhov A (2014) Approaching millimeter accuracy of GNSS positioning in real time with large impedance ground plane antennas. In: Proceedings of ION ITM 2014, Institute of Navigation, San Diego, California, 27–29 Jan 2014, pp 844–848Google Scholar
- Tatarnikov D, Chernetsky I (2015) Travelling wave antennas with semitransparent surfaces for forming a cutoff pattern. In: Proceedings of progress in electromagnetic research symposium PIERS 2015, Prague, Czech Republic, pp 1168–1171Google Scholar