Balancing two-sided U-type assembly lines using modified particle swarm optimization algorithm
- 521 Downloads
In this paper, a new two-sided U-type assembly line balancing (TUALB) procedure and a new algorithm based on the particle swarm optimization algorithm to solve the TUALB problem are proposed. The proposed approach minimizes the number of stations for a given cycle time as the primary objective and it minimizes the number of positions as a secondary objective. The proposed approach is illustrated with an example problem. In order to evaluate the efficiency of the proposed algorithm, the test problems available in the literature are used. The experimental results show that the proposed approach performs well.
KeywordsTwo-sided assembly line balancing U-type assembly lines Particle swarm optimization
Mathematics Subject Classification90B30 90C59
The authors would like to thank the referees for their careful review of the paper and their helpful comments and suggestions which greatly improved the paper. This research was supported by the Erciyes University Scientific Research Projects Grand Number SDK-2013-4636.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No potential conflict of interest was reported by the authors.
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1995) Particle swarm optimization. In: IEEE International Conferenceon Neural Networks, Perth, Australia, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1997) A discrete binary version of the particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the conference on systems, man, and cybernetics SMC97, pp 4104–4108Google Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC, Shi Y (2001) Swarm intelligence. Morgan Kaufman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Özbakir L, Tapkan P (2010) Balancing fuzzy multi-objective two-sided assembly lines via Bees Algorithm. J Intell Fuzzy Syst 21(5):317–329Google Scholar
- Shi Y, Eberhart RC (1998) A modified particle swarm optimizer. Proceedings of the IEEE congress on evolutionary computation, USA, pp 69–73Google Scholar
- Shi Y, Eberhart RC (1999) Empirical study of particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE congress on evolutionary computation, IEEE Press, pp 1945–1950Google Scholar
- Yegul MF, Ağpak K, Yavuz M (2010) A new algorithm for U-shaped two-sided assembly line balancing. Trans Can Soc Mech Eng 34(2):225–241Google Scholar