Automating Import and Reconciliation of Outside Examinations Submitted to an Academic Radiology Department
- 104 Downloads
Although advances in electronic image sharing have made continuity of patient care easier, currently, the majority of outside studies are received on CD. At our institution, there were 9 full-time employees (FTE) at three locations using three workflows to manually upload, schedule, and process studies to PACS. As the demand to view and store outside studies has grown, so has the processing turnaround time. To reduce turnaround time and the need for human intervention, we developed an automated workflow to import outside studies from a CD to our PACS and reconcile them with an internal accession number and exam code.
KeywordsEMR Image exchange application PACS Outside CD FTE Auto-reconcile
The authors would like to thank Carolyn Cicilia from the Applications Integration Team, Dr. Neil Malhotra from the Department of Neurosurgery, Ann Costello, the Director of Clinical Radiology, Kristen Martin from the Clinical Imaging Management Team, and the Image Processing Departments. The authors would also like to acknowledge the Penn Medicine Radiology PACS Team, the PennChart Radiant Team, and Clinical Imaging IS Leadership with special thanks for their help and efforts.
- 1.Kuzmak PM, Dayhoff RE, Gavrilov S, Cebelinski G, Shovestul ML, Casertano A. Streamlining importation of outside prior DICOM studies into an imaging system. J Digit Imaging. 2012 Feb;25(1):70-7. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-011-9406-x. PubMed PMID: 21809172; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3264724.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hagiwara H, Nemoto A, Inoue T. Burden on university hospitals of handling portable data for imaging (PDI) media. Appl Clin Inform. 2014 Jan 15;5(1):46-57. doi: https://doi.org/10.4338/ACI-2013-07-RA-0052. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 24734123; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3974247.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE), 2019 Retrieved from https://www.ihe.net/ihe_domains/radiology/. Accessed Sept 2019
- 7.Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise. Portable Data for Imaging (PDI), 2018, May. Retrieved from https://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Portable_Data_for_Imaging. Accessed Sept 2019
- 8.Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise. Import Reconciliation Workflow (IRWF), 2018, May. Retrieved from https://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Import_Reconciliation_Workflow. Accessed Sept 2019
- 9.Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise Scheduled Workflow (SWF), 2018, May. Retrieved from https://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Scheduled_Workflow. Accessed Sept 2019
- 11.HealthIT.gov, 2019, February. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/topic/about-onc. Accessed Sept 2019
- 12.Sequoia Project. 2019 Retrieved from https://sequoiaproject.org/rsna/. Accessed Sept 2019
- 13.How We Can #DitchTheDisk & Share Images Electronically, 2019 July. Retrieved from https://carequality.org/how-we-can-ditchthedisk-share-images-electronically/. Accessed Sept 2019
- 14.Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise. Proposed Workitem: Import and Display of External Priors (IDEP), 2018 September Retrieved from https://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Import_and_Display_of_External_Priors-_Proposal. Accessed Sept 2019