Of Mice and Roentgen: Radiologist Satisfaction with a Non-conventional 13-Button Mouse—One Institution’s Experience
Increasing radiologic exam volume and complexity necessitates leveraging advanced hardware solutions to optimize workflow efficiency. We evaluated radiologist satisfaction of a programmable 13-button non-conventional mouse compared to a conventional three-button mouse in daily interpretation workflow following a brief 2-day trial period. A prospective study was conducted with radiology staff and residents in a tertiary care center from 2015 to 2016. A survey was distributed prior to and after a tutorial and a 2-day non-conventional mouse trial period. The post-survey evaluated usage time, device settings, satisfaction, preferences, and perceived efficiency of both mice. Descriptive analyses, correlations, the Sign test, and the Wilcoxon signed-rank test were used to evaluate responses. Fifty-nine participants completed pre- and post-surveys. Several (41%, n = 24) had prior experience with a non-conventional mouse. Prior to the trial, one third of all participants (35.6%, n = 21) reported being satisfied or very satisfied with their conventional mouse. After spending an average of 9.8 h using the non-conventional mouse, there were no statistically significant changes in overall satisfaction with either conventional or non-conventional mice (p = 0.84 and p = 0.39, respectively). However, 76.3% (n = 45) agreed/somewhat agreed they preferred to use the non-conventional mouse in their daily workflow as opposed to the conventional mouse. The non-conventional mouse was also perceived as more efficient (66.1%, n = 39), required less time (62.7%, n = 37) and effort (74.6%, n = 44) to view images, allowed for easier manipulation of windows/images (76.3%, n = 45), and was more comfortable to use (78.0%, n = 46). Although there were no statistically significant shifts in overall satisfaction, participants reported a higher level of satisfaction, perceived efficiency, and preference for a non-conventional 13-button mouse compared to a conventional three-button mouse following a brief, 2-day trial period.
KeywordsUser interface device Picture archiving and communications system Mouse Gaming-mouse Interpretation efficiency
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Exams [Internet]. Paris, France: 1995. https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/magnetic-resonance-imaging-mri-exams.htm. [cited 2016 April 5].
- 2.Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Computer Tomography (CT) Exams [Internet]. Paris, France: 1995. https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/computed-tomography-ct-exams.htm. [cited 2016 April 5].
- 4.Brant WE, Helms CA. Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. 4th ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, c2012. Chapter 1 Diagnostic Imaging Methods; p4–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Sherry CS et al. ACR practice parameter for communication of diagnostic imaging findings. American College of Radiology Practice Parameter. Revision 2014 Oct;(Resolution 11):p2–4.Google Scholar
- 7.Nuance® PowerMic II Produce Flyer: Nuance Communications [Internet]. Burlington (MA); [updated 2015]. http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/dragon/@web-enus/documents/collateral/nuance_powermicii.pdf. [cited December 1 2016.]
- 14.GE Healthcare: Centricity: GE Healthcare [Internet]. Chicago (IL): GE Healthcare Headquarters. http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/products/categories/healthcare_it. [cited Dec 1 2016.]
- 15.Logitech G700s Product Page: Logitech [Internet]. Newark (CA): Logitech Corporate Offices; [updated 2013]. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g700s-rechargeable-wireless-gaming-mouse. [cited April 5 2016.]
- 16.Configuring G700s Mouse On-Board Memory: Logitech [Internet]. Newark (CA): Logitech Corporate Offices; [2014 Aug 31]. http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/41580?product=a0qi00000069ufAAAQ. [cited 2016 April 5].
- 17.Logitech Gaming Software: Logitech [Internet]. Newark (CA): Logitech Corporate Offices: [updated 2016 Mar]. http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/lgs. [cited April 5 2016].
- 18.Logitech Product Warranties: Logitech [Internet]. Newark (CA): Logitech Corporate Offices; [updated 2013]. http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/warranty. [cited December 30 2016.]
- 19.Dell Optical Mouse MS116 Product Page: Dell [Internet]. Round Rock (TX). http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-optical-mouse-ms116-black/apd/275-bbcb/pc-accessories. [cited Dec 1 2016.]