Intracellular localization of histone deacetylase HDA6 in plants
- 323 Downloads
Histone modification is an important epigenetic mechanism in eukaryotes. Histone acetyltransferase and deacetylase regulate histone acetylation levels antagonistically, leading to dynamic control of chromatin structure. One of the histone deacetylases, HDA6, is involved in gene silencing in the heterochromatin regions, chromocenter formation, and metabolic adaptation under drought stress. Although HDA6 plays an important role in chromatin control and response to drought stress, its intracellular localization has not been observed in detail. In this paper, we generated transformants expressing HDA6-GFP in the model plant, Arabidopsis thaliana, and the crops, rice, and cassava. We observed the localization of the fusion protein and showed that HDA6-GFP was expressed in the whole root and localized at the nucleus in Arabidopsis, rice, and cassava. Remarkably, HDA6-GFP clearly formed speckles that were actively colocalized with chromocenters in Arabidopsis root meristem. In contrast, such speckles were unlikely to be formed in rice or cassava. Because AtHDA6 directly binds to the acetate synthesis genes, which function in drought tolerance, we performed live imaging analyses to examine the cellular dynamics of pH in roots and the subnuclear dynamics of AtHDA6 responding to acetic acid treatment. The number of HDA6 speckles increased during drought stress, suggesting a role in contributing to drought stress tolerance.
KeywordsCassava Chromocenter Drought stress Imaging Histone deacetylase pH monitoring
This research was supported by Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) CREST Grant (JPMJCR13B4) and MXT/JSPS KAKENHI (15H05955, 15H05962 and 19H03259) to SM and by MXT/JSPS KAKENHI (18K14743) and the Sasakawa Scientific Research Grant from Japan Science Society to YS. We thank Huw Tyson, PhD, from Edanz Group (www.edanzediting.com/ac) for editing a draft of this manuscript.
- Earley KW, Pontvianne F, Wierzbicki AT, Blevins T, Tucker S, Costa-Nunes P, Pontes O, Pikaard CS (2010) Mechanisms of HDA6-mediated rRNA gene silencing: suppression of intergenic Pol II transcription and differential effects on maintenance versus siRNA-directed cytosine methylation. Genes Dev 24:1119–1132CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kim JM, To TK, Matsui A, Tanoi K, Kobayashi NI, Matsuda F, Habu Y, Ogawa D, Sakamoto T, Matsunaga S, Bashir K, Rasheed S, Ando M, Takeda H, Kawaura K, Kusano M, Fukushima A, Endo TA, Kuromori T, Ishida J, Morosawa T, Tanaka M, Torii C, Takebayashi Y, Sakakibara H, Ogihara Y, Saito K, Shinozaki K, Devoto A, Seki M (2017) Acetate-mediated novel survival strategy against drought in plants. Nat Plants 3:7Google Scholar
- Nakagawa T, Suzuki T, Murata S, Nakamura S, Hino T, Maeo K, Tabata R, Kawai T, Tanaka K, Niwa Y, Watanabe Y, Nakamura K, Kimura T, Ishiguro S (2007) Improved gateway binary vectors: high-performance vectors for creation of fusion constructs in Transgenic analysis of plants. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 71:2095–2100CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pandey R, Muller A, Napoli CA, Selinger DA, Pikaard CS, Richards EJ, Bender J, Mount DW, Jorgensen RA (2002) Analysis of histone acetyltransferase and histone deacetylase families of Arabidopsis thaliana suggests functional diversification of chromatin modification among multicellular eukaryotes. Nucleic Acids Res 30:5036–5055CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Probst AV, Fagard M, Proux F, Mourrain P, Boutet S, Earley K, Lawrence RJ, Pikaard CS, Murfett J, Furner I, Vaucheret H, Scheid OM (2004) Arabidopsis histone deacetylase HDA6 is required for maintenance of transcriptional gene silencing and determines nuclear organization of rDNA repeats. Plant Cell 16:1021–1034CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar