miR156 modulates rhizosphere acidification in response to phosphate limitation in Arabidopsis
- 1.1k Downloads
Rhizosphere acidification is a general response to Pi deficiency, especially in dicotyledonous plants. However, the signaling pathway underlying this process is still unclear. Here, we demonstrate that miR156 is induced in the shoots and roots of wild type Arabidopsis plants during Pi starvation. The rhizosphere acidification capacity was increased in 35S:MIR156 (miR156 overexpression) plants, but was completely inhibited in 35S:MIM156 (target mimicry) plants. Both 35S:MIR156 and 35S:MIM156 plants showed altered proton efflux and H+-ATPase activity. In addition, significant up-regulation of H+-ATPase activity in 35S:MIR156 roots coupled with increased citric acid and malic acid exudates was observed. qRT-PCR results showed that most H+-ATPase and PPCK gene transcript levels were decreased in 35S:MIM156 plants, which may account for the decreased H+-ATPase activity in 35S:MIM156 plants. MiR156 also affect the root architecture system. Collectively, our results suggest that miR156 regulates the process of rhizosphere acidification in plants.
KeywordsArabidopsis thaliana miR156 Rhizosphere acidification Pi deficiency
We thank Professor Jiawei Wang for providing the 35S:MIR156 and 35S:MIM156 seeds. We also thank Dr. Shuping Xing for providing the PromiR156a:GUS and PromiR156d:GUS seeds. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31371426, 31570263).
- Dinkelaker B (1990) Genotypische Unterschiede in der Phosphateffizienz von Kichererbse (Cicer arietinum L.). Ph.D. Thesis, Universität Hohenheim, StuttgartGoogle Scholar
- Huang TK, Han CL, Lin SI, Chen YJ, Tsai YC, Chen YR, Chen JW, Lin WY, Chen PM, Liu TY, Chen YS, Sun CM, Chiou TJ (2013) Identification of downstream components of ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme PHOSPHATE2 by quantitative membrane proteomics in Arabidopsis roots. Plant cell 25:4044–4060PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lin SI, Santi C, Jobet E, Lacut E, El Kholti N, Karlowski WM, Verdeil JL, Breitler JC, Perin C, Ko SS, Guiderdoni E, Chiou TJ, Echeverria M (2010) Complex regulation of two target genes encoding SPX-MFS proteins by rice miR827 in response to phosphate starvation. Plant Cell Physiol 51:2119–2131CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tomasi N, Kretzschmar T, Espen L, Weisskopf L, Fuglsang AT, Palmgren MG, Neumann G, Varanini Z, Pinton R, Martinoia E, Cesco S (2009) Plasma membrane H+-ATPase-dependent citrate exudation from cluster roots of phosphate-deficient white lupin. Plant Cell Environ 32:465–475CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yang L, Xu M, Koo Y, He J, Poethig RS (2013) Sugar promotes vegetative phase change in Arabidopsis thaliana by repressing the expression of MIR156A and MIR156C. eLife 2:e00260Google Scholar