Anticipating the location of a waste collection point: an application based on Portugal
We study the optimal location of a waste facility in a horizontally differentiated duopoly where firms choose their location and price. The policymaker decides the location of a waste facility targeting social welfare maximization. Consistent with the observation of the location decisions of waste facilities in Portugal, we show that the optimal location of a waste facility is never in the city center under partial ex-post regulation. Ex-ante regulation ensures the highest level of social welfare, but from a theoretical point of view, it requires a waste facility located in the city center. A robustness check is then provided to justify that, in actual regulatory practice, a first-mover regulator maximizes social welfare without necessarily imposing the installation of a waste facility in the city center.
KeywordsWaste management Spatial competition Location Waste collection point Price competition
JEL ClassificationD43 L13 Q53
This research started through a working paper entitled “Anticipating the Long-Term Ideology of a Policymaker”. The authors declare no conflict of interest and appreciate the valuable suggestions provided by two anonymous referees and Co-Editor Steffen Hoernig, which substantially improved the quality of the study.
- Agência Portuguesa do Ambiente (APA) (2013) PERSU 2020: plano Estratégico para os Resíduos Urbanos. Ministry of Environment, Spatial Planning and Regional Development, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- COM 571 Final (2011) Roadmap to a Efficient Europe Resources. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Decree Law no 178/2006 of September 5th (2006) Diário da República 171/2006, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- Decree Law no 73/2011 of June 17th (2011) Diário da República 116/2011, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- Entidade Reguladora dos Serviços de Águas e Resíduos (ERSAR) (2014) Relatório Anual dos Serviços de Águas e Resíduos em Portugal: Caraterização económica e financeira dos serviços–volume 2. ISBN: 978-989-8360-23-6, PortugalGoogle Scholar
- Tirole J (1988) The theory of industrial organization. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar