Constant mean curvature surfaces in warped product manifolds
- First Online:
- 1.2k Downloads
We consider surfaces with constant mean curvature in certain warped product manifolds. We show that any such surface is umbilic, provided that the warping factor satisfies certain structure conditions. This theorem can be viewed as a generalization of the classical Alexandrov theorem in Euclidean space. In particular, our results apply to the deSitter-Schwarzschild and Reissner-Nordstrom manifolds.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. D. Alexandrov, Uniqueness theorems for surfaces in the large I, Vestn. Leningr. Univ., 11 (1956), 5–17. Google Scholar
- 3.R. Bartnik, Energy in general relativity, in Tsing Hua Lectures on Geometry and Analysis (Hsinchu 1990–1991), pp. 5–27, International Press, Cambridge, 1997. Google Scholar
- 5.H. Bray, The Penrose Inequality in General Relativity and Volume Comparison Theorems Involving Scalar Curvature, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1997. Google Scholar
- 7.S. Brendle and M. Eichmair, Isoperimetric and Weingarten surfaces in the Schwarzschild manifold, J. Differ. Geom., to appear. Google Scholar
- 11.M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Large isoperimetric surfaces in initial data sets, J. Differ. Geom., to appear. Google Scholar
- 13.M. Eichmair and J. Metzger, Unique isoperimetric foliations of asymptotically flat manifolds in all dimensions, arXiv:1204.6065.
- 21.S. Montiel and A. Ros, Compact hypersurfaces: the Alexandrov theorem for higher order mean curvatures, in H. Blaine Lawson Jr., K. Tenenblat (eds.), Differential Geometry, Pitman Monographs and Surveys in Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol. 52, pp. 279–296, Longman, Harlow, 1991. Google Scholar
- 26.M. Reiris, Static solutions from the point of view of comparison geometry, preprint (2011). Google Scholar