Observations of the turbulent kinetic energy dissipation rate in the upper central South China Sea
Measurements of the turbulent kinetic energy dissipation rate (ε), velocity, temperature, and salinity were obtained for the upper ocean of the central South China Sea (14.5° N, 117.0° E) during an experimental campaign from May 11 to 13, 2010. Dissipation in the diurnal mixed layer showed a diurnal variability that was strongly affected by the surface buoyancy flux. Dissipation was enhanced (ε ∼ 10−7 W kg−1) at night due to the convective mixing and was weakened (ε ∼ 10−9 W kg−1) in daytime due to the stratification. Dissipation in the thermocline varied with time under the influence of internal waves. Shear from high-frequency internal waves (period ∼8 h) played an important role in enhancing the turbulent mixing in the thermocline. In the period of strong high-frequency internal waves, the shear from high-frequency internal waves became strong and the depth-averaged ε in the thermocline was elevated by almost one order of magnitude. Compared with the dissipation in the thermocline, dissipation below was weaker (the time-averaged ε ∼ 10−10 W kg−1). The observation indicates that the dissipation rates during the measurements can be parameterized by the MacKinnon-Gregg model that is widely used in the continental shelf but are not in agreement with the Gregg-Henyey model used for the open ocean.
KeywordsDissipation rate Surface buoyancy flux Internal wave Parameterization
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China: 41630970, 41376022, 41676022, and 41521005. The data we used is from South China Sea Institute of Oceanology.
- Garrett C (1975) Tides in gulfs. Paper presented at Deep Sea Research and Oceanographic Abstracts, ElsevierGoogle Scholar
- Huang CJ, Qiao FL, Dai DJ, Ma HY, Guo JS (2012) Field measurement of upper ocean turbulence dissipation associated with wave-turbulence interaction in the South China Sea. J Geophys Res-Oceans, 117, doi: 10.1029/2011jc007806
- Lamb KG (2004) Nonlinear interaction among internal wave beams generated by tidal flow over supercritical topography. Geophys Res Lett, 31(9), doi:Artn L09313 10.1029/2003gl019393
- Palmer MR, Rippeth TP, Simpson JH (2008) An investigation of internal mixing in a seasonally stratified shelf sea. J Geophys Res-Oceans 113(C12). doi: 10.1029/2007jc004531
- St Laurent L (2008) Turbulent dissipation on the margins of the South China Sea. Geophys Res Lett 35(23). doi: 10.1029/2008gl035520
- Tian JW, Yang QX, Liang XF, Xie LL, Hu DX, Wang F, Qu TD (2006) Observation of Luzon Strait transport. Geophys Res Lett 33(19). doi: 10.1029/2006gl026272
- van der Lee EM, Umlauf L (2011) Internal wave mixing in the Baltic Sea: near-inertial waves in the absence of tides. J Geophys Res-Oceans 116(C10). doi: 10.1029/2011jc007072