An online database on freshwater fish diversity and distribution in Mainland Southeast Asia
- 510 Downloads
Mainland Southeast Asia, the region that includes Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam and Peninsular Malaysia, is known for its high diversity of freshwater fishes (e.g., Myers et al. 2000; Dudgeon 2005; Kang et al. 2009). Recently, however, intensive exploitation pressures have been threatening this biodiversity. While some studies on fish fauna of the region have been made (e.g., Taki 1974; Rainboth 1996; Kottelat 2000; Vidthayanon and Premcharoen 2002), most have been of limited duration and geographical range, and the full extent of the effect of this exploitation on the fish diversity is not fully understood.
The main obstacles standing in the way of a proper understanding of the threats to this biodiversity and determining the means to alleviate them have been hindered by several factors: one is a general shortage of trained scientists in the region proficient in fish taxonomy; another is that exchanges of the results of the taxonomical studies done by scientists in the region are...
KeywordsDispatch Freshwater Fish Storage Facility Fish Diversity Malay Peninsula
We greatly appreciate Yasuhiko Taki for the kindest supports and suggestions. We would like to express our gratitude for the considerable assistance provided to Kyushu University for this project by the Environment Research and Technology Development Fund (S9) of the Ministry of the Environment, Japan and Global COE Program (Center of Excellence for Asian Conservation Ecology as a Basis of Human-Nature Mutualism) of Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan.
- Dudgeon D (2005) River rehabilitation for conservation of fish biodiversity in monsoonal Asia. Ecol Soc 10:15Google Scholar
- Kottelat M (2000) Diagnoses of a new genus and 64 new species of fishes from Laos (Teleostei: Cyprinidae, Balitoridae, Bagridae, Syngnathidae, Chaudhuriidae and Tetraodontidae). J South Asian Natl Hist 5:37–82Google Scholar
- Ng HH, Kottelat M (2013) Revision of the Asian catfish genus Hemibagrus Bleeker, 1862 (Teleostei: Siluriformes: Bagridae). Raffles Bull Zool 61:205–291Google Scholar
- Rainboth WJ (1996) Fishes of the Cambodian Mekong. FAO, RomeGoogle Scholar
- Taki Y (1974) Fishes of the Lao Mekong Basin. U.S. Agency for International Development Mission to Laos Agriculture DivisionGoogle Scholar