Backward Error Analysis and the Substitution Law for Lie Group Integrators
- 317 Downloads
Butcher series are combinatorial devices used in the study of numerical methods for differential equations evolving on vector spaces. More precisely, they are formal series developments of differential operators indexed over rooted trees, and can be used to represent a large class of numerical methods. The theory of backward error analysis for differential equations has a particularly nice description when applied to methods represented by Butcher series. For the study of differential equations evolving on more general manifolds, a generalization of Butcher series has been introduced, called the Lie–Butcher series. This paper presents the theory of backward error analysis for methods based on Lie–Butcher series.
KeywordsBackward error analysis Butcher series Hopf algebras Lie group integrators Lie–Butcher series Rooted trees Substitution law
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)65L05 65L06 37C10
We are grateful to Kurusch Ebrahimi-Fard, Dominique Manchon and Jon-Eivind Vatne for interesting and enlightening discussions, and to the anonymous referees for their valuable comments. We would also like to acknowledge support from the Aurora Program, project 205042/V11.
- 6.F. Chapoton, Rooted trees and an exponential-like series, arXiv:math/0209104 (2002).
- 7.P. Chartier, E. Hairer, G. Vilmart, A substitution law for B-series vector fields, Technical Report 5498, INRIA, 2005. Google Scholar
- 13.K. Ebrahimi-Fard, A. Lundervold, D. Manchon, H. Munthe-Kaas, J.E. Vatne, On the post-Lie operad, Preprint, 2011. Google Scholar
- 20.J.L. Loday, Cyclic Homology, 2nd edn. (Springer, Berlin, 1997). Google Scholar
- 23.A. Lundervold, H. Munthe-Kaas, On algebraic structures of numerical integration on vector spaces and manifolds, arXiv:1112.4465 (2011).
- 24.D. Manchon, Hopf algebras in renormalisation, in Handbook of Algebra, vol. 5, ed. by M. Hazewinkel (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 2008), pp. 365–427. Google Scholar
- 27.H. Munthe-Kaas, A. Lundervold, On post-Lie algebras, Lie–Butcher series and moving frames, arXiv:1203.4738 (2012).