Self-exciting threshold binomial autoregressive processes
- 314 Downloads
We introduce a new class of integer-valued self-exciting threshold models, which is based on the binomial autoregressive model of order one as introduced by McKenzie (Water Resour Bull 21:645–650, 1985. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.1985.tb05379.x). Basic probabilistic and statistical properties of this class of models are discussed. Moreover, parameter estimation and forecasting are addressed. Finally, the performance of these models is illustrated through a simulation study and an empirical application to a set of measle cases in Germany.
KeywordsThinning operation Threshold models Binomial models Count processes
The authors thank the referees for carefully reading the article and for their comments, which greatly improved the article. This work was supported by Portuguese funds through the CIDMA—Center for Research and Development in Mathematics and Applications, and the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT-Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia), within project UID/MAT/04106/2013.
- Möller, T., Weiß, C.H.: Threshold models for integer-valued time series with infinite or finite range. In: Steland, A., Rafajłowicz, E., Szajowski, K. (eds.) Stochastic Models, Statistics and Their Applications, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, vol. 122, Springer, Berlin, pp. 327–334 (2015). doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-13881-7_36
- Robert-Koch-Institut: Robert-Koch-Institut: SurvStat@RKI. http://www3.rki.de/SurvStat. Accessed 2014-07-02 (2014)
- Stenseth, N.C., Samia, N.I., Viljugrein, H., Kausrud, K.L., Begon, M., Davis, S., Leirs, H., Dubyanskiy, V.M., Esper, J., Ageyev, V.S., Klassovskiy, N.L., Pole, S.B., Chan, K.S.: Plague dynamics are driven by climate variation. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 103, pp. 13110–13115 (2006). doi: 10.1073/pnas.0602447103, http://www.pnas.org/content/103/35/13110.full.pdf+html
- Thyregod, P., Carstensen, J., Madsen, H., Arnbjerg-Nielsen, K.: Integer valued autoregressive models for tipping bucket rainfall measurements. Environmetrics 10(4), 395–411 (1999). doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-095X(199907/08)10:4<395:AID-ENV364>3.0.CO;2-M
- Tong, H.: Threshold models in non-linear time series analysis. Lecture Notes in Statistics, vol. 21. Springer (1983)Google Scholar
- Yu, K., Zou, H., Shi, D.: Integer-valued moving average models with structural changes. Math. Problems Eng. Article ID 231592 (2014)Google Scholar