Isolation and Antibiotic Screening of Fungi from a Hydrothermal Vent Site and Characterization of Secondary Metabolites from a Penicillium Isolate
Five new compounds were isolated from Penicillium sp. Y-5-2 including an austin derivative 4, four isocoumarins 9, 11, 12, and 13, together with two known isocoumarins 8 and 10, and six known austin derivatives 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 and one phenol 14. Their structures and relative configurations were established by spectroscopic means. The absolute configurations of 4, 11, and 13 were defined mainly by comparison of quantum chemical TDDFT calculated and experimental ECD spectra. The cyclization of the pentan-2-ol pendant at C-3 in compound 13 allowed the assignment of a new 2,3,4,4a,6,10b-hexahydro-1H-benzo[c]chromene isocoumarin skeleton. New compounds 9, 11, and 13 revealed inhibitory activities against E. coli at MIC values around 32 μg/mL. The known compound 14 showed potent antibiotic activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus subtilis with MIC values 8 and 2 μg/mL, respectively, with no cytotoxicity when tested in vitro. A rapid and efficient technique for selecting antibiotic fungal strain among eight marine-derived fungi was also described.
KeywordsMarine fungi Isocoumarin Antibacterial New skeleton
This work was supported by NSFC (Nos. 81273386 and 81573306). We thank Prof. Hu-Jun Xie from the School of Food Science and Biotechnology, Zhejiang Gongshang University, for his kind help on the calculation of the ECD spectra and determination of the configurations.
- Bruhn T, Schaumloffel A, Hemberger Y (2015) SpecDis, version 1.63. University of Wuerzburg, WürzburgGoogle Scholar
- Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenberg JL, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T, Montgomery JAJ, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark M, Heyd JJ, Brothers E, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell A, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Rega N, Millam JM, Klene M, Knox JE, Cross JB, Bakken V, Adamo C, Jaramillo J, Gomperts R, Stratmann RE, Yazyev O, Austin AJ, Cammi R, Pomelli C, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Zakrzewski VG, Voth GA, Salvador P, Dannenberg JJ, Dapprich S, Daniels AD, Farkas O, Foresman JB, Ortiz JV, Cioslowski J, Fox DJ (2009) Gaussian09, revision a.1. Gaussian, Inc., WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Horikoshi R, Tsuchida M, Tsujiuchi G, Oyama K, Mitomi M (2008) Novel austin derivative from a filamentous fungus, PF1364. J Pestic Sci 33:79Google Scholar
- Lo HC, Entwistle R, Guo CJ, Ahuja M, Szewczyk E, Hung JH, Chiang YM, Oakley BR, Wang CCC (2012) Two separate gene clusters encode the biosynthetic pathway for the meroterpenoids austinol and dehydroaustinol in Aspergillus nidulans. J Am Chem Soc 134:4709–4720CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ng NK, Huang JF, Ho PH (2000) Description of a new species of hydrothermal crab, Xenograpsus testudinatus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Brachyura: Grapsidae) from Taiwan. Natl Taiwan Mus (Spec Publ Ser) 10:191–199Google Scholar