Reinforcement of hydroxypropylcellulose films by cellulose nanocrystals in the presence of surfactants
- 75 Downloads
Hydroxypropylcellulose (HPC) films were prepared by casting with cellulose nanocrystals in the presence of anionic surfactant sodium dodecylsulphate (SDS) and cationic surfactant hexadecyltrimethyl ammonium bromide (CTAB). The cellulose nanocrystals were isolated from maize straw, a biomass source produced in huge quantities as an agrowaste in Brazil. These bionanocomposite films had good transparency and their surface hydrophilic character was evidenced by static contact angle measurements. Thermogravimetry (TGA) measurement revealed that nanocrystals and surfactants changed the thermal stability of the HPC films. Dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA) showed that the tensile storage and loss moduli of the HPC films increased by increasing the contents of cellulose nanocrystals and surfactants, especially in the case of CTAB. This good reinforcing effect of HPC matrix can be explained as due to electrostatic attractive interactions brought about by the presence of CTAB and the nanocrystals.
KeywordsHydroxypropylcellulose Cellulose nanocrystals Bionanocomposites Maize straw Micellization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Rehman, N., Miranda, M.I.G., Rosa, S.M.L., Pimentel, D.M., Nachtigall, S.M.B. and Bica, C.I.D., J. Polym. Environ., 2014, 22: 252Google Scholar
- 7.Dong, X., Revol, J.F. and Gray, D., Langmuir, 1998, 5: 19Google Scholar
- 12.Kalia, S., Dufresne, A., Cherian, B.M., Kaith, L., Averous, L., Njuguna, J. and Nassiopoulos, E., Int. J. Polym. Sci., 2011, 2011: 1Google Scholar
- 18.Jackson, J.K., Letchford, K., Wasserman, B.Z., Ye, L., Hamad, W.Y. and Burt, H.M., Int. J. Nanomed., 2011, 6: 321Google Scholar
- 19.Cunha, I.T., Teixeira, I.F., Mesquita, J.P., Ardisson, J. D., Binatti, I., Pereira, F.V. and Lago, R.M., J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 2016, 27: 363Google Scholar
- 26.Fernández-Pan, I. and Caballero, J.I.M., “In biopolymers-new materials for sustainable films and coatings”, 1st ed., Plackett, D., ed.; Wiley, Chichester, UK, 2011, p. 233Google Scholar
- 28.Comas, V., Polímeros, 2013, 23: 287Google Scholar
- 29.Martín-Closas, L. and Pelacho, A. L., “In biopolymers-new materials for sustainable films and coatings”, 1st ed., Plackett, D., ed.; Wiley, Chichester, UK, 2011, p. 277Google Scholar