On some polytopes contained in the 0, 1 hypercube that have a small Chvátal rank
- 44 Downloads
In this paper, we consider polytopes P that are contained in the unit hypercube. We provide conditions on the set of 0, 1 vectors not contained in P that guarantee that P has a small Chvátal rank. Our conditions are in terms of the subgraph induced by these infeasible 0, 1 vertices in the skeleton graph of the unit hypercube. In particular, we show that when this subgraph contains no 4-cycle, the Chvátal rank is at most 3; and when it has tree width 2, the Chvátal rank is at most 4. We also give polyhedral decomposition theorems when this graph has a vertex cutset of size one or two.
Mathematics Subject Classification90C10 90C27 90C57
This work was supported in part by NSF Grant CMMI1560828 and ONR Grant N00014-15-12082. We would like to thank the referees for carefully reading an earlier draft of the paper and providing valuable comments.
- 1.Abdi, A., Cornuéjols, G., Pashkovich, K.: Ideal clutters that do not pack. Math. Oper. Res. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1287/moor.2017.0871
- 7.Cornuéjols, G., Li, Y.: Deciding emptiness of the Gomory–Chvátal closure is NP-complete, even for a rational polyhedron containing no integer point. In: Louveaux, Q., Skutella, M. (eds.) IPCO, vol. 9682, pp. 387–397. LNCS (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Cornuéjols, G., Lee, D., Li, Y.: On the rational polytopes with Chvátal rank 1. SubmittedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Hartmann, M.E., Queyranne, M., Wang, Y.: On the Chvátal rank of certain inequalities. In: Cornuéjols, G., Burkard, R.E., Woeginger, G.J. (eds.) IPCO, vol. 1610, pp. 218–233. LNCS (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Rothvoss, T., Sanitá, L.: 0/1 polytopes with quadratic Chvátal rank. In: Goemans, M., Correa, J. (eds.) IPCO, vol. 7801, pp. 349–361. LNCS (2013)Google Scholar