Effects of different treatments on chemical and morphological features of eroded dentin
To evaluate the treatment of eroded dentin (Sensodyne Repair & Protect™, Er:YAG laser and combinations). The occlusal surfaces of 25 third molars were sectioned 1.5 mm in thickness. After an erosion cycle (5 min in demineralizing solution + 3 h in remineralizing solution; six cycles a day for 8 days), the samples were divided into five groups (n = 5): (E) erosion − control; (ES) erosion + Sensodyne Repair & Protect (NovaMin); (EL) erosion + Er:YAG laser (40 mJ, 10 Hz, 0.4 W, 50 μs, 3.1 J/cm2, 63 W/cm2); (ELS) erosion + Er:YAG laser + Sensodyne; and (ESL) erosion + Sensodyne + Er:YAG laser. Following storage in ultrapure water (37 °C/14 days), the Ca/P ratio was evaluated by EDXRF and the morphology surfaces examined in SEM. The percentage of exposed dentin tubules was calculated. One-way analysis of variance and Tukey’s test at 5% were used to treat the data. The Ca/P ratio was higher in E and ES groups. More exposed dentin tubules were found in E group and less exposed tubules were found in the ES group (p < 0.0001). When the toothpaste and laser were combined, the number of occluded dentin tubules was higher when laser was performed first (ELS). A positive effect was found when the laser and toothpaste were combined.
KeywordsDental erosion Laser Desensitizing agents
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Human third molars used in this study following approval from the human research ethics committee (certificate number: 1.209.605).
- 4.Dantas EM, Dantas PMC, Nóbrega FGO, Vasconcellos RG, Aguiar Junior JN, Queiroz LMG (2013) Low-level laser therapy for treating cervical dentinal hypersensitivity—literature review. Odontol Clín Cient 12:7–11Google Scholar
- 7.Tunar OL, Gursoy H, ÇaKar G, Kuru B (2014) Evaluation of the effects of Er:YAG laser and desensitizing paste containing 8% arginine and calcium carbonate, and their combinations on human dentine tubules: a scanning electron microscopic analysis. Photomed Laser Surg 32:540–545CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Namour A, Nammour S, Peremans A, Heysselaer D, De Moor JG (2014) Treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity by means of Nd:YAP laser: a preliminary in vitro study. Sci World J 1:323304Google Scholar
- 22.Jelínková H, Dostálová T, Dolezalová L, Krejsa O, Hamal K, Kubelka J, Procházka S (1997) Comparison of preparation speed of En YAG laser and conventional drilling machine. SPIE 2973:2–10Google Scholar
- 24.Milleman JR, Milleman KR, Clarck CE, Mongiello KA, Simonton TC, Proskin HM (2015) NUPRO Sensodyne prophylaxis paste with NovaMin for the treatment of dentin hypersensitivity: a 4-week clinical study. Am J Dent 25:262–268Google Scholar