Effect of pomegranate peel polyphenols on human prostate cancer PC-3 cells in vivo
- 189 Downloads
Punica granatum possesses strong antitumor properties. In this study, a nude mouse model with a subcutaneous xenograft of human prostate cancer cells (PC-3) was established to observe the in vivo antiproliferative and apoptotic effects of pomegranate peel polyphenols (PP). Levels of the cytokines tumor necrosis factor α (TNF-α) and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) were detected by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Quantitative analysis of ellagic acid, gallic acid, and punicalagin in active fraction was conducted using reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography with a photo-diode array (HPLC/PDA). PP decreased tumor volume and weight in tumor-bearing nude mice, and significantly increased the rate of apoptosis (p<0.05). In addition, PP increased TNF-α and decreased VEGF in the serum (p<0.05). Ellagic acid (201.3±3.544 mg/g), gallic acid (8.917±0.274 mg/g), and punicalagin (407.0±12.05 mg/g) were the main effectors of the anti-tumor activity.
Keywordspomegranate peel polyphenols prostate cancer TNF-α VEGF HPLC/PDA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Adhami VM, Ahmad N, Mukhtar H. Molecular targets for green tea in prostate cancer prevention. J. Nutr. 133: 2417S–2424S (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim ND, Mehta R, Yu WP, Neeman I, Livney T, Amichay A, Poirier D, Nicholls P, Kirby A, Jiang W, Mansel R, Ramachandran C, Rabi T, Kaplan B, Lansky E. Chemo preventive and adjuvant therapeutic potential of pomegranate (Punica granatum) for human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 71: 203–217 (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Allan J, Pantuck MD, Nazy Zomorodian MD, Arie S, Belldegrun MD. Phase-II study of pomegranate juice for men with prostate cancer and increasing PSA. In: American Urological Association Annual Meeting, May 22–25, San Antonio, TX, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Adhami VM, Khan N, Mukhtar H. Cancer chemoprevention by pomegranate: Laboratory and clinical evidence. Nutr. Cancer 61: 811–815 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang QQ, Long LM, Wang WJ, Yang SL, Tang LH, Liang ZQ. The inhibition activity of the active extraction Lysimachia clethroides Duby on Hela xenograft in nude mice. Chinese Pharmacol. Bull. 28: 204–208 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang DY, Zhang HQ, Li X. Apoptosis induced by the C21 sterols in Baishouwu and its mechanism of action in hepatoma. Acta Pharm. Sinic. 42: 366–370 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang QX, Jia MY, Tang RP, Xu L, Yang YH. A review of chemical constituent and application of Punica granatum Seed. Spec. Wild Econ. Anim. Plant Res. 1: 53–56 (2006)Google Scholar