Polymeric procyanidin fraction from defatted grape seeds protects HepG2 cells against oxidative stress by inducing phase II enzymes via Nrf2 activation
- 226 Downloads
Nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) is an important transcription factor that regulates antioxidant response element (ARE)-driven phase II detoxification enzymes. In this study, induction of phase II enzymes via Nrf2/ARE activation in the cytoprotective effect of crude polyphenol extract (CPE), oligomeric procyanidin fraction (OPF), and polymeric procyanidin fraction (PPF) from defatted grape seeds in HepG2 cells was evaluated. Among these treatments, the treatment with PPF significantly increased Nrf2 protein expression in the nuclear fraction. Treating the samples increased heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) and NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) protein expression in a dose-dependent manner, and PPF significantly increased the levels of phase II enzymes. Cellular generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) were effectively reduced by PPF. These results suggest that pretreatment with PPF shows a cytoprotective effect by inhibiting ROS production and inducing HO-1 and NQO1 expression via Nrf2 activation in HepG2 cells.
Keywordsprocyanidin heme oxygenase-1 NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 nuclear factor-erythroid 2-related factor antioxidant response element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ravindra PS, Shashwat S, Suman K. Free radicals and oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases: Relevance of dietary antioxidants. J. Indian Acad. Clin. Med. 5: 218–225 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Moskaug JO, Carlsen H, Myhrstad MC, Blomhoff R. Polyphenols and glutathione synthesis regulation. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 81(S): 277–283 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang Y, Gordon GB. A strategy for cancer prevention: Stimulation of the Nrf2-ARE signaling pathway. Mol. Cancer Ther. 3: 885–893 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Numazawa S, Ishikawa M, Yoshida A, Tanaka S, Yoshida T. A typical protein kinase C mediates activation of NF-E 2-related factor 2 in response to oxidative stress. Am. J. Physiol.-Cell Ph. 285: 334–342 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Del Bas MJ, Fernandez-Larrea J, Blay M, Ardevol A, Salvado M, Arola L, Blade C. Grape seed procyanidins improve atherosclerotic risk index and induce liver CYP7A1 and SHP expression in healthy rats. FASEB J. 19: 479–481 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Montagut G, Onnockx S, Vaqué M, Bladé C, Blay M, Fernández-Larrea J, Pujadas G, Salvadó MJ, Arola L, Pirson I, Ardévol A, Pinent M. Oligomers of grape-seed procyanidin extract activate the insulin receptor and key targets of the insulin signaling pathway differently from insulin. J. Nutr. Biochem. 21: 476–481 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Itoh K, Chiba T, Takahashi S, Ishii T, Igarashi K, Katoh Y, Oyake T, Hayashi N, Satoh K, Hatayama I, Yamamoto M, Nabeshima Y. An Nrf2/small Maf heterodimer mediates the induction of phase II detoxifying enzyme genes through antioxidant response elements. Biochem. Bioph. Res. Co. 236: 313–322 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Hayes JD, Ellis EM, Neal GE, Harrison DJ, Manson MM. Cellular response to cancer chemopreventive agents: Contribution of the antioxidant responsive element to the adaptive response to oxidative and chemical stress. Biochem. Soc. Symp. 64: 141–168 (1999)Google Scholar
- 27.Keum YS, Han YH, Liew C, Kim JH, Xu C, Yuan X, Shakarjian MP, Chong S, Kong AN. Induction of heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) and NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1) by a phenolic antioxidant, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), and its metabolite, tert-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) in primary-cultured human and rat hepatocytes. Pharmacol. Res. 23: 2586–2594 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Nioi P, Hayes JD. Contribution of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 to protection against carcinogenesis, and regulation of its gene by the Nrf2 basic-region leucine zipper and the arylhydrocarbon receptor basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors. Mutat. Res. 555: 149–171 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar