Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of different solvent fractions from ethanol extract of Synurus deltoides (Aiton) Nakai leaves
Fractions of Synurus deltoides (Aiton) Nakai leaves showed excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in a series of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory assays including total phenolic and flavonoid contents determination assay, DPPH free radical scavenging assay, reducing power assay, superoxide radical scavenging assay, nitrite scavenging assay, total antioxidant assay, DNA damage protection assay, MTT assay, nitric oxide (NO) production inhibition assay, and reverse transcription (RT)-PCR assay. The ethyl acetate fraction exhibited stronger antioxidant effects than other fractions in most of antioxidant assays such as DPPH assay, reducing power assay, superoxide radical scavenging assay, and nitrite scavenging assay. However, the dichloromethane fraction showed the strongest total antioxidant activity and NO production inhibitory activity. It was demonstrated that S. deltoides was valuable to be researched farther and application and fractions of S. deltoides had great potential to be a source of edible antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents.
Keywordsanti-inflammatory antioxidant cytotoxicity DNA damage protection phenolic content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Choi HJ, Eun JS, Park YR, Kim DK, Li R, Moon WS, Park JM, Kim HS, Cho NP, Cho SD, Soh Y. Ikarisoside a inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 cells via p38 kinase and nuclear factor-κB signaling pathways. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 601: 171–178 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Lin MW, Tsao LT, Huang LJ, Kuo SC, Weng JR, Ko HH, Lin CN, Lee MR, Wang JP. Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-stimulated NO production by crotafuran B in RAW 264.7 macrophages involves the blockade of NF-κB activation through the increase in IκBα synthesis. Toxicol. Appl. Pharm. 210: 108–115 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lin MW, Tsao LT, Chang LC, Chen YL, Huang LJ, Kuo SC, Tzeng CC, Lee MR, Wang JP. Inhibition of lipopolysaccharide-stimulated NO production by a novel synthetic compound CYL-4d in RAW 264.7 macrophages involving the blockade of MEK4/JNK/AP-1 pathway. Biochem. Pharmacol. 73: 1796–1806 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lai CS, Lai YS, Kuo DH, Wu CH, Ho CT, Pan MH. Magnolol potently suppressed lipopolysaccharide-induced iNOS and COX-2 expression via downregulating MAPK and NF-κB signaling pathways. J. Funct. Foods 3: 198–206 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Jung MJ, Heo S, Wang MH. Antioxidant activities of different parts of Synurus deltoides Nakai extracts in vitro. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 17: 1156–1159 (2008)Google Scholar