Predominant ultrasonographic extracapsular changes in symptomatic psoriatic dactylitis: results from a multicenter cross-sectional study comparing symptomatic and asymptomatic hand dactylitis
- 57 Downloads
Despite diffuse digital swelling, dactylitis may sometimes be asymptomatic. The objective of this study was to compare the clinical and ultrasonographic features of symptomatic with asymptomatic psoriatic arthritis (PsA) dactylitis.
One hundred and twenty-five hand dactylitis were evaluated in a multicenter cross-sectional study for the presence of pain, subjective functional limitation, and tenderness (4-points scale) with the calculation of a Leeds Dactylitis Index (LDI) score. Fingers were subsequently investigated using high-frequency ultrasound (US) both in gray-scale (GS) and power Doppler (PD), for the presence and grading of flexor tenosynovitis, soft tissue edema, subcutaneous PD signal (PDUS), extensor tendon involvement, and joints synovitis. Clinical and US characteristics of symptomatic dactylitic fingers were compared with the asymptomatic dactylitic ones.
Symptomatic fingers (n = 80) had a significantly lower dactylitis duration compared to asymptomatic fingers (n = 36) (p < 0.001). Values of LDI, patient VAS-pain, and VAS-functional score were significantly higher in fingers with symptomatic dactylitis (p < 0.001 and p = 0.010, respectively). Symptomatic dactylitis had a higher prevalence of flexor tenosynovitis of grade > 2, soft tissue edema and subcutaneous PDUS signal (p < 0.001). Asymptomatic dactylitis showed a greater prevalence of joint synovitis (both in GS and in PD) than symptomatic dactylitis (p < 0.001).
• Digital tenderness and local pain in psoriatic arthritis dactylitis are strongly associated with flexor tenosynovitis of grade> 2, soft tissue edema, and subcutaneous PD signal.
• In psoriatic arthritis, asymptomatic dactylitis showed a greater prevalence of joint synovitis than symptomatic dactylitis.
• In psoriatic arthritis, ultrasound inflammatory abnormalities are present in about 70% of cold dactylitis which is linked for disease chronicity.
• In psoriatic arthritis, the flexor tendon and adjacent soft tissues play a significant role in symptomatic dactylitis.
KeywordsCold dactylitis Dactylitis Flexor tendon Psoriatic arthritis Symptoms Tenderness Tenosynovitis Ultrasonography
Compliance with ethical standards
The study was approved by the local ethical Committee of the University Federico II, Naples, Italy (number approval 5/12), and was conducted in conformity with The Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments. A written informed consent was obtained from all participants.
- 4.Olivieri I, Scarano E, Padula A, Giasi V (2003) Dactylitis involving most of the fingers. Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:406Google Scholar
- 9.Peluso R, Costa L, Caso F, Del Puente A, Di Minno MN, Manguso F, Castiglione F, Scarpa R (2016) Dactylitis in enteropathic spondyloarthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 34:842–847Google Scholar
- 13.Ferguson EG, Coates LC (2014) Optimisation of rheumatology indices: dactylitis and enthesitis in psoriatic arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 32:113–117Google Scholar
- 14.Wright V, Moll JM (1971) Psoriatic arthritis. Bull Rheum Dis 21:627–632Google Scholar
- 17.Kane D, Greaney T, Bresnihan B, Gibney R, FitzGerald O (1999) Ultrasonography in the diagnosis and management of psoriatic dactylitis. J Rheumatol 26:1746–1751Google Scholar
- 18.Wakefield RJ, Emery P, Veale D (2000) Ultrasonography and psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol 27:1564–1565Google Scholar
- 19.Olivieri I, Barozzi L, Pierro A, De Matteis M, Padula A, Pavlica P (1997) Toe dactylitis in patients with spondyloarthropathy: assessment by magnetic resonance imaging. J Rheumatol 24:926–930Google Scholar
- 22.Fournié B, Margarit-Coll N, Champetier de Ribes TL, Zabraniecki L, Jouan A, Vincent V, Chiavassa H, Sans N, Railhac JJ (2006) Extrasynovial ultrasound abnormalities in the psoriatic finger. Prospective comparative power-Doppler study versus rheumatoid arthritis. Joint Bone Spine 73:527–531CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Tinazzi I, McGonagle D, Zabotti A, Chessa D, Marchetta A, Macchioni P (2018) Comprehensive evaluation of finger flexor tendon entheseal soft tissue and bone changes by ultrasound can differentiate psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 36:785–790Google Scholar
- 24.Girolimetto N, Costa L, Mancarella L, Addimanda O, Bottiglieri P, Santelli F, Meliconi R, Peluso R, Del Puente A, Macchioni P, Salvarani C, McGonagle D, Scarpa R, Caso F (2019) Symptomatic psoriatic dactylitis is associated with ultrasound determined extra-synovial inflammatory features and shorter disease duration. Clin Rheumatol 38:903–911CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Helliwell PS, Firth J, Ibrahim GH, Melsom RD, Shah I, Turner DE (2005) Development of an assessment tool for dactylitis in patients with psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol 32:1745–1750Google Scholar
- 27.Möller I, Janta I, Backhaus M, Ohrndorf S, Bong DA, Martinoli C, Filippucci E, Sconfienza LM, Terslev L, Damjanov N, Hammer HB, Sudol-Szopinska I, Grassi W, Balint P, Bruyn GAW, D'Agostino MA, Hollander D, Siddle HJ, Supp G, Schmidt WA, Iagnocco A, Koski J, Kane D, Fodor D, Bruns A, Mandl P, Kaeley GS, Micu M, Ho C, Vlad V, Chávez-López M, Filippou G, Cerón CE, Nestorova R, Quintero M, Wakefield R, Carmona L, Naredo E (2017) The 2017 EULAR standardised procedures for ultrasound imaging in rheumatology. Ann Rheum Dis 76:1974–1979CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Naredo E, D'Agostino MA, Wakefield RJ, Möller I, Balint PV, Filippucci E, Iagnocco A, Karim Z, Terslev L, Bong DA, Garrido J, Martínez-Hernández D, Bruyn GA, OMERACT Ultrasound Task Force (2013) Reliability of a consensus-based ultrasound score for tenosynovitis in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 72:1328–1334CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Terslev L, Naredo E, Iagnocco A, Balint PV, Wakefield RJ, Aegerter P, Aydin SZ, Bachta A, Hammer HB, Bruyn GA, Filippucci E, Gandjbakhch F, Mandl P, Pineda C, Schmidt WA, D’Agostino MA, Outcome Measures in Rheumatology Ultrasound Task Force (2014) Defining enthesitis in spondyloarthritis by ultrasound: results of a Delphi process and of a reliability reading exercise. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 66:741–748CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Terslev L, Naredo E, Aegerter P, Wakefield RJ, Backhaus M, Balint P, Bruyn GAW, Iagnocco A, Jousse-Joulin S, Schmidt WA, Szkudlarek M, Conaghan PG, Filippucci E, D’Agostino MA (2017) Scoring ultrasound synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis: a EULAR-OMERACT ultrasound taskforce-part 2: reliability and application to multiple joints of a standardised consensus-based scoring system. RMD Open 3:e000427CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.D'Agostino MA, Terslev L, Aegerter P, Backhaus M, Balint P, Bruyn GA, Filippucci E, Grassi W, Iagnocco A, Jousse-Joulin S, Kane D, Naredo E, Schmidt W, Szkudlarek M, Conaghan PG, Wakefield RJ (2017) Scoring ultrasound synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis: a EULAR-OMERACT ultrasound taskforce-part 1: definition and development of a standardised, consensus-based scoring system. RMD Open 3:e000428CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Girolimetto N, Macchioni P, Tinazzi I, Costa L, McGonagle D, Peluso R, Del Puente A, Addimanda O, Marchetta A, Possemato N, Tasso M, Salvarani C, Scarpa R, Caso F (2019) Ultrasonographic evidence of predominance of acute extracapsular and chronic intrasynovial patterns in 100 psoriatic hand dactylitis. J Rheumatol:jrheum.190046. https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.190046
- 38.Brown AK, Quinn MA, Karim Z, Conaghan PG, Peterfy CG, Hensor E, Wakefield RJ, O’Connor PJ, Emery P (2006) Presence of significant synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis patients with disease-modifying antirheumatic drug-induced clinical remission: evidence from an imaging study may explain structural progression. Arthritis Rheum 54:3761–3773CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.Yoshimi R, Hama M, Takase K, Ihata A, Kishimoto D, Terauchi K, Watanabe R, Uehara T, Samukawa S, Ueda A, Takeno M, Ishigatsubo Y (2013) Ultrasonography is a potent tool for the prediction of progressive joint destruction during clinical remission of rheumatoid arthritis. Mod Rheumatol 23:456–465CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Nguyen H, Ruyssen-Witrand A, Gandjbakhch F, Constantin A, Foltz V, Cantagrel A (2014) Prevalence of ultrasound-detected residual synovitis and risk of relapse and structural progression in rheumatoid arthritis patients in clinical remission: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 53:2110–2118CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Foltz V, Gandjbakhch F, Etchepare F, Rosenberg C, Tanguy ML, Rozenberg S, Bourgeois P, Fautrel B (2012) Power Doppler ultrasound, but not low-field magnetic resonance imaging, predicts relapse and radiographic disease progression in rheumatoid arthritis patients with low levels of disease activity. Arthritis Rheum 64:67–76CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Geijer M, Lindqvist U, Husmark T, Alenius GM, Larsson PT, Teleman A, Theander E (2015) The Swedish early psoriatic arthritis registry 5-year follow up: substantial radiographic progression mainly in men with high disease activity and development of dactylitis. J Rheumatol 42:2110–2117CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.Hirata A, Ogura T, Hayashi N, Takenaka S, Ito H, Mizushina K, Fujisawa Y, Yamashita N, Nakahashi S, Imamura M, Kujime R, Kameda H (2017) Concordance of patient-reported joint symptoms, physician-examined arthritic signs, and ultrasound-detected synovitis in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 69:801–806CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 45.Dejaco C, Stadlmayr A, Duftner C, Trimmel V, Husic R, Krones E, Zandieh S, Husar-Memmer E, Zollner G, Hermann J, Gretler J, Lackner A, Ficjan A, Datz C, Axman R, Zwerina J (2017) Ultrasound verified inflammation and structural damage in patients with hereditary haemochromatosis-related arthropathy. Arthritis Res Ther 19:243CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Delle Sedie A, Riente L, Filippucci E, Scirè CA, Iagnocco A, Meenagh G, Gutierrez M, Valesini G, Montecucco C, Grassi W, Bombardieri S (2011) Ultrasound imaging for the rheumatologist. XXXII Sonographic assessment of the foot in patients with psoriatic arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 29:217–222Google Scholar
- 48.Emad Y, Ragab Y, Gheita T, Anbar A, Kamal H, Saad A, Darweesh H, El-Shaarawy N, Azab A, Ismail A, Rasker JJ, Knee Enthesitis Working Group (2012) Knee enthesitis and synovitis on magnetic resonance imaging in patients with psoriasis without arthritic symptoms. J Rheumatol 39:1979–1986CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.Elnady B, El Shaarawy NK, Dawoud NM, Elkhouly T, Desouky DE, ElShafey EN, El Husseiny MS, Rasker JJ (2019) Subclinical synovitis and enthesitis in psoriasis patients and controls by ultrasonography in Saudi Arabia; incidence of psoriatic arthritis during two years. Clin Rheumatol 38:1627–1635. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-019-04445-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 53.Tan AL, Tanner SF, Waller ML, Hensor EM, Burns A, Jeavons AP, Bury RF, Emery P, McGonagle D (2013) High-resolution [18F]fluoride positron emission tomography of the distal interphalangeal joint in psoriatic arthritis--a bone-enthesis-nail complex. Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:898–904CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 55.Ostergaard M, McQueen F, Wiell C, Bird P, Bøyesen P, Ejbjerg B, Peterfy C, Gandjbakhch F, Duer-Jensen A, Coates L, Haavardsholm EA, Hermann KG, Lassere M, O'Connor P, Emery P, Genant H, Conaghan PG (2009) The OMERACT psoriatic arthritis magnetic resonance imaging scoring system (PsAMRIS): definitions of key pathologies, suggested MRI sequences, and preliminary scoring system for PsA hands. J Rheumatol 36:1816–1824CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 56.Bøyesen P, McQueen FM, Gandjbakhch F, Lillegraven S, Coates L, Wiell C, Haavardsholm EA, Conaghan PG, Peterfy CG, Bird P, Ostergaard M (2011) The OMERACT psoriatic arthritis magnetic resonance imaging score (PsAMRIS) is reliable and sensitive to change: results from an OMERACT workshop. J Rheumatol 38:2034–2038CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 57.McQueen F, Lassere M, Bird P, Haavardsholm EA, Peterfy C, Conaghan PG, Ejbjerg B, Genant H, O'Connor P, Emery P, Østergaard M (2007) Developing a magnetic resonance imaging scoring system for peripheral psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol 34:859–861Google Scholar
- 60.Okano T, Mamoto K, Di Carlo M, Salaffi F (2019) Clinical utility and potential of ultrasound in osteoarthritis. Radiol Med. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-019-01013-z
- 61.Hayashi D, Roemer FW, Guermazi A (2018) Recent advances in research imaging of osteoarthritis with focus on MRI, ultrasound and hybrid imaging. Clin Exp Rheumatol 36:43–52Google Scholar