Recent advances in nanobiotechnology and high-throughput molecular techniques for systems biomedicine
Nanotechnology-based tools are beginning to emerge as promising platforms for quantitative high-throughput analysis of live cells and tissues. Despite unprecedented progress made over the last decade, a challenge still lies in integrating emerging nanotechnology-based tools into macroscopic biomedical apparatuses for practical purposes in biomedical sciences. In this review, we discuss the recent advances and limitations in the analysis and control of mechanical, biochemical, fluidic, and optical interactions in the interface areas of nanotechnologybased materials and living cells in both in vitro and in vivo settings.
Keywordsbioimaging microarray microfluidics nanomaterials nanotechnology next generation DNA sequencing quantum dot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dalerba, P., Kalisky, T., Sahoo, D., Rajendran, P.S., Rothenberg, M. E., Leyrat, A.A., Sim, S., Okamoto, J., Johnston, D.M., Qian, D., et al. (2011). Single-cell dissection of transcriptional heterogeneity in human colon tumors. Nat. Biotechnol. 29, 1120–1127.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davies, K. (2010). The the revolution in DNA sequencing and the new era of personalized medicine. (New York, NY: Free Press).Google Scholar
- Miele, E., Spinelli, G.P., Miele, E., Di Fabrizio, E., Ferretti, E., Tomao, S., and Gulino, A. (2012). Nanoparticle-based delivery of small interfering RNA: challenges for cancer therapy. Int. J. Nanomed. 7, 3637–3657.Google Scholar
- Powell, A.A., Talasaz, A.H., Zhang, H., Coram, M.A., Reddy, A., Deng, G., Telli, M.L., Advani, R.H., Carlson, R.W., Mollick, J.A., et al. (2012). Single cell profiling of circulating tumor cells: transcriptional heterogeneity and diversity from breast cancer cell lines. PLoS One 7, e33788.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saunders, C.J., Miller, N.A., Soden, S.E., Dinwiddie, D.L., Noll, A., Alnadi, N.A., Andraws, N., Patterson, M.L., Krivohlavek, L.A., Fellis, J., et al. (2012). Rapid whole-genome sequencing for genetic disease diagnosis in neonatal intensive care units. Sci. Transl. Med. 4, 154ra135.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Stroh, M., Zimmer, J.P., Duda, D.G., Levchenko, T.S., Cohen, K.S., Brown, E.B., Scadden, D.T., Torchilin, V.P., Bawendi, M.G., Fukumura, D., et al. (2005). Quantum dots spectrally distinguish multiple species within the tumor milieu in vivo. Nat. Med. 11, 678–682.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsui, J.H., Lee, W., Pun, S.H., Kim, J., and Kim, D.H. (2013). Micro-fluidics-assisted in vitro drug screening and carrier production. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar