Groundwater Governance: key challenges in applying the Global Framework for Action
- 3.6k Downloads
Ever-increasing pressures on the groundwater resource base mean that groundwater governance is a critical issue requiring worldwide attention. This belief triggered the Global Environment Facility (GEF) project Groundwater Governance – A Global Framework for Action, which was implemented during 2011–2015 by the FAO, UNESCO-IHP (International Hydrological Programme), World Bank and International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH). Groundwater governance comprises the promotion of responsible collective action to ensure socially sustainable utilisation, control and protection of groundwater resources for the benefit of humankind and dependent ecosystems. The purpose of this essay is first to introduce the new GEF Global Framework for Action on Groundwater Governance and second to highlight some key issues likely to be encountered in its practical application.
The GEF Groundwater Governance Framework for Action
The recent GEF Global Framework for Action on Groundwater Governance is...
KeywordsGroundwater governance Groundwater use Groundwater management Groundwater protection
Gouvernance des Eaux Souterraines: les principaux défis dans l'application du Cadre Global pour l’Action
La Gobernanza de las Aguas Subterráneas: desafíos claves en la aplicación del Marco Global para la Acción
Governança das Aguas Subterrâneas: principais desafios na aplicação de um Arcabouço Global para Ação
The authors had the privilege and responsibility to be the senior hydrogeologists serving on the GEF Programme Core Drafting Team on Groundwater Governance. Special thanks go to Mohamed Bazza (FAO) for his enthusiastic and efficient coordination of the related work programme. The authors also acknowledge the stimulation provided by other members of this team (notably Frank van Steenbergen and Stefano Burchi) and the Programme Steering Committee (from the GEF, FAO, UNESCO-IHP, World Bank and IAH Executive), and by the wealth of information and views many colleagues from around the world shared during the five regional consultations meetings. Shammy Puri and John Chiton (IAH Executive) encouraged the production of this article and provided helpful reviews.
- FAO (2015a) Global Diagnostic on Groundwater Governance (Special edn. for World Water Forum 7). Groundwater Governance – A Global Framework for Action, GEF Groundwater Governance Project. http://www.groundwatergovernance.org. Accessed November 2015
- FAO (2015b) Global Framework for Action to achieve the vision on Groundwater Governance (Special edn. for World Water Forum 7). GEF Groundwater Governance Project. http://www.groundwatergovernance.org. Accessed November 2015
- Foster S, Cherlet J (2014) The links between land use and groundwater: governance provisions and management strategies to secure a ‘sustainable harvest’. GWP Perspectives Paper. Global Water Partnership, StockholmGoogle Scholar
- Foster S, Loucks DP (2006) Non-renewable groundwater resources: a guidebook on socially-sustainable management for water-policy makers. UNESCO IHP-VI Series on Groundwater 10, UNESCO, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Foster S, Garduňo H, Tuinhof A, Tovey C (2009) Groundwater Governance: conceptual framework for assessment of provisions and needs. GW-MATe Strategic Overview Series 1, World Bank, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Garduño H, van Steenbergen F, Foster S (2010) Stakeholder participation in groundwater management: enabling and nurturing engagement. GW-MATe Briefing Note Series 6. FAO-UN (Rome). World Bank, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Mechlem K (2012) Legal framework for sustainable Groundwater Governance. GEF Groundwater Governance–Thematic Paper 6. FAO-UN, Rome. http://www.groundwatergovernance.org/resources/thematic-papers/en/. Accessed November 2015
- Moench M, Kulkarni H, Burke J (2013) Trends in local groundwater management institutions/user partnerships. GEF Groundwater Governance–Thematic Paper 7. FAO-UN, Rome. http://www.groundwatergovernance.org/resources/thematic-papers/en/. Accessed November 2015
- van der Gun J, Merla A, Jones M, Burke J (2012) Governance of the subsurface and groundwater frontier. GEF Groundwater Governance–Thematic Paper 10. FAO-UN, Rome. http://www.groundwatergovernance.org/resources/thematic-papers/en/. Accessed November 2015