Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM): How does groundwater fit in?
- 807 Downloads
KeywordsGroundwater management Groundwater protection IWRM
Gestion intégrée de la ressource en eau (GIRE): Quelle est la part de l’eau souterraine?
Manejo integrado de los recursos hídricos (MIRH): ¿Cómo se ajusta a ello el agua subterránea?
Gestão Integrada de Recursos Hídricos (GIRH): Como integrar a água subterrânea?
The authors, as GWP-Global Technical Committee Chair (Ait-Kadi) and former World Bank–GW-MATE Director 2001-10 and IAH President 2004-08 (Foster), are most grateful to Ania Grobicki (GWP, Executive Director) and Julia Bucknall (World Bank, Water Anchor Manager) for promoting the collaboration that facilitated the writing of this article, and to their respective colleagues, members of GW-MATE and the GWP-Global Technical Committee for their stimulation. Nevertheless, the opinions expressed in the article are those of the author’s alone and do not necessarily represent those of the GWP or World Bank.
- Foster S, Loucks PP (eds) (2006) Non-renewable groundwater resources: a guidebook on socially sustainble management for water-policy makers. UNESCO-IHP VI Series on Groundwater 10, UNESCO, ParisGoogle Scholar
- Foster S, Hirata R, Misra S, Garduno H (2010) Urban groundwater use policy: balancing the benefits and risks in developing nations. GW-MATE Strategic Overview Series 3. World Bank, Washington, DC. www.worldbank.org/gwmate. Cited May 2011
- Garduno H, Foster S (2010) Sustainable groundwater irrigation–approaches to reconciling demand with resources. GW-MATE Strategic Overview Series 4, World Bank, Washington, DC. www.worldbank.org/gwmate. Cited May 2011
- Garduno H, Foster S, Nanni M, Kemper K, Tuinhof A, Koundouri P (2006) Groundwater dimensions of national water resource and river basin planning. GW-MATE Briefing Note Series 10, World Bank, Washington, DC. www.worldbank.org/gwmate. Cited May 2011.
- GWP (2000) Integrated Water Resources Management. GWP Technical Advisory Committee Background Paper 4. Global Water Partnership, StockholmGoogle Scholar
- GWP (2004) Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) and water efficiency plans by 2005: Why, What and How? Global Water Partnership TEC Background Paper 10, GWP, StockholmGoogle Scholar
- Lankford B, Hepworth N (2010) The cathedral and the bazaar: monocentric and polycentric river basin management. Water Alternatives 3:82–101Google Scholar