A video text location method based on background classification
- 171 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a simple yet powerful video text location scheme. Firstly, an edge-based background classification is applied to the input video frames, which are subsequently classified into three categories: simple, normal and complex. Then, for the three different types of video frames, different text location methods are adopted, respectively: for the simple background class, a stroke-based text location scheme is used; for the normal background class, a variant of morphology called conditional morphology is incorporated to remove the non-text noises; for the complex background situation, after location routine based on stroke analysis and conditional morphology, an SVM text detector is trained to reduce the false alarms. Experimental results show that our approach performs well in various videos with high speed and precision.
KeywordsBackground classification Video text location Stroke extraction Conditional morphology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chuang L., Ding X., Wu Y.: An algorithm for text location in images based on histogram features and AdaBoost. J. Image Graph. 11(3), 325–331 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Dubey P.: Edge based text detection for multi-purpose application. 8th InternationalConference on Signal Processing 4, 16–20 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Gonzalez R.C., Woods R.E.: Digital Image Processing, pp. 420–454. Publishing House of Electronic Industry, Beijing (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Hua, X.-S., Chen, X.-R., Wenyin, L., Zhang, H.-J.: Automatic Location of Text in Video Frames, Proceedings of the 2001 ACM Workshops on Multimedia: Multimedia Information Retrieval, pp. 24–27 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kim K.I., Jung K., Kim J.H.: Texture-based approach for text detection in images using support vector machines and continuously adaptive mean shift algorithm. Pattern Anal. Mach. Learn. 26, 1631–1639 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lienhart, R.: OCR, Video: A Survey and Practitioner’s Guide. Intel Corporation, Microprocessor Research Labs, Santa Clara, California (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu C., Wang C., Dai R.: Text detection in images based on unsupervised classification of edge-based features. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition 2, 607–612 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Miao, G., Huang, Q., Jiang, S., Gao, W.: Coarse-to-fine Video Text Detection, 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. Multimed. Expo. 569–572 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Platt J.: Fast Training of Support Vector Machines using Sequential Minimal Optimization, pp. 185–208. MIT Press, USA (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.Raju S.S., Pati P.B., Ramakrishnan A.G.: Text Localization and Extraction from Complex Color Images, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 486–493. Springer, Berlin (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Shin C.S., Kim K.I., Park M.H., Kim H.J.: Support vector machine-based text detection in digital video. Proceedings of the IEEE Signal Proceesing Society Workshop on Neural Networks for Sunal Processing, 2, 634–641 (2000)Google Scholar