Electrodeposition of Fe-doped Sb2Se3 thin films for photoelectrochemical applications and study of the doping effects on their properties
- 106 Downloads
Sb2Se3 (SSe) has been highlight as a low-cost, less complex, low toxicity, and earth-abundant photovoltaic (PV) absorber not only because of its excellent properties but also because of its demonstrated 5.6% certified efficiency and decent device stability. An understanding of the effects of intentional dopants on the properties of this material would help to further improve SSe PV devices. In this work, Fe-doped SSe thin film was obtained by electrodeposition at different levels of doping, which is an easy, cheap, and scalable technique. At the studied levels, this dopant caused low influence in band gap and morphologic-structural properties of the films; however, it did impact their electronic properties and photoactivity toward hydrogen gas evolution. The film obtained from a deposition bath composed of 5% of Fe presented a photocurrent similar to that shown by the undoped film, despite showing a carrier density that was three orders of magnitude higher. This behavior makes us believe that, compared to the undoped film, a photovoltaic device made with this 5% Fe-doped film would have a higher fill factor and efficiency.
KeywordsAntimony selenide Photoelectrochemistry Water splitting Less complex, low toxicity, and earth-abundant semiconductor One-dimensional (Sb4Se6)n ribbons
This work was supported by National Counsel of Technological and Scientific Development (CNPq) and the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), grant #2016/10513-3 and CEPID grant #2013/07296-2.
- 5.Sze SM, Ng KK (2007) Physics of semiconductor devices, 3rd edn. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Gromboni MF, Lucas FWS, Mascaro LH (2014) Optical properties and surface morphology of ZnTe thin films prepared by multiple potential steps. J Braz Chem Soc 23:526–531Google Scholar
- 22.Li D-F, Luo M, Li B-L, Wu C-B, Deng B, Dong H-N (2013) Low-resistivity p-type doping in Wurtzite ZnS using codoping method. Adv Condens Matter Phys 2013:1–4Google Scholar
- 24.Li Y, Zhou Y, Zhu Y, Chen C, Luo J, Ma J, Yang B, Wang X, Xia Z, Tang J (2016) Characterization of Mg and Fe doped Sb2Se3 thin films for photovoltaic application. Appl Phys Lett 109:1–6Google Scholar
- 32.Bott AW (1998) Electrochemistry of semiconductors. Curr Sep 17:87–91Google Scholar
- 33.Zoski CG (2007) Handbook of electrochemistry, 1st edn. Elsevier, New MexicoGoogle Scholar
- 34.Lide DR (2010) CRC handbook of chemistry and physics, 90nd edn. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar