Hydrothermal synthesis of brookite TiO2 nanoparticles for dye-sensitized solar cell
- 326 Downloads
We obtained Tannin-4-azobenzoic acid (azo dye) by the conventional method of diazotization and coupling of aromatic amines. The properties of the azo dye were characterized via ultraviolet-visible (UV–vis), infrared (IR), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. Nanocrystalline titanium dioxide (TiO2) thin films were deposited by hydrothermal method onto fluorine-doped tin (IV) oxide (FTO)-coated glass substrate at 353 K for 4 h. The as-deposited and annealed films were characterized for structural, morphological, optical, thickness, and wettability properties. The synthesized metal free azo dye was used to sensitize the prepared TiO2 thin film with thickness of 26 μm. The photoelectrochemical (PEC) performance of TiO2 sensitized with the azo dye was evaluated in polyiodide (0.1 M KI + 0.01 M I2 + 0.1 M KCl) electrolyte at 40 mW cm−2 illumination intensity. The cell yielded a short circuit current of 2.82 mA, open circuit voltage of 314.3 mV, a fill factor of 0.30, and a photovoltaic conversion efficiency value of 0.64%.
KeywordsAzo dye Titanium dioxide Solar cell Photoelectrochemical studies
Authors are grateful to Thin Film Physics Laboratory, Department of Physics, Shivaji University, Kolhapur (M.S.), India. We also thank Engr. Emeka Okwuosa MD Oilserv Ltd. Group of Companies for generous sponsorship of April 2014 and August 2016 Nano conferences/workshops on applications of nanotechnology to energy, health &.Environment conference and for providing some research facilities.
- 21.Zhao X, Zhu Y, Wang Y, Zhu L, Yang L, Sha Z (2015) Influence of anodic oxidation parameters of TiO2 Nanotube arrays on morphology and photocatalytic performance. J Nanomaterials 2015:104193 10 pagesGoogle Scholar
- 24.Yamauchi S, Ima Y (2013) Plasma-assisted chemical vapor deposition of TiO2 thin films for highly hydrophilic performance. Cryst Struct Theory Appl 2013(2):1–7Google Scholar
- 32.Mayabadi AH, Waman VS, Kamble MM, Ghosh SS, Gabhale BB, Rondiya SR, Rokade AV, Khadtare SS, Sath VG, Pathan HM, Gosavi SW, Jadkar SR (2014) Evolution of structural and optical properties of rutile TiO2 thin films synthesized at room temperature by chemical bath deposition method. J Phys Chem Solids 75(2):182–187CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Beyene HD, Ephriem Tadesse E (2014) Study of solvent effect on Uv-visible spectra of a newly synthesized azo-dye, 2-(3-carboxyl-4Hydroxylphenyl)-1-(4-Nitrophenyl) diazene (PNASA). Inter J Tech Enhancements Emerg Eng Res (IJTEEE) 2(12):23–29 ISSN 2347-4289Google Scholar
- 39.Paola AD, Bellardita M, Palmisano L (2013) Brookite, the least known TiO2 photocatalyst. Catalogue 3:36–73Google Scholar
- 45.Ezema CG, Nwanya AC, Ezema BE, Patil BH, Bulakhe RN, Ukoha PO, Lokhande CD, Maaza M, Ezema FI (2016) Photo-electrochemical studies of chemically deposited nanocrystalline meso-porous n-type TiO2 thin films for dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) using simple synthesized azo dye. Appl Phys A 122:435CrossRefGoogle Scholar