An electrochemical investigation on (MoO3+PVP+PVA) nanobelts for lithium batteries
- 339 Downloads
Molybdenum trioxide (MoO3) xerogel films modified with poly(vinyl alcohol)+poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) (PVP+PVA) polyblends were obtained by ion-exchange method with sol-gel technique. Investigations were conducted using X-ray “diffractometry”, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, and cyclic voltammetry. The results show that the H atoms in polyblend are H-bonded with the O atoms in the Mo=O bonds of MoO3 xerogel, which effectively shield the electrostatic interaction between MoO3 interlayer and Li+ ions when MoO3 xerogel is modified by the intercalation of (PVP+PVA). The reversibility of the insertion/extraction of Li+ ions is greatly improved by the modification with polyblend of MoO3 nanocomposite films. MoO3 and (PVP+PVA) x MoO3 (x = 0, 0.5) nanobelts were obtained by a simple hydrothermal process from MoO3 sol. The electrochemical cells with configuration Li/(LiPF6+EC+DMC)/MoO3 modified by (PVP+PVA) were fabricated and their discharge profiles studied.
KeywordsPolymer MoO3 nanobelts XRD FTIR Lithium battery
One of the authors (Ch. V. S. Reddy) thanks Wuhan University of Technology for his Post Doctoral Fellowship award, and he also thanks Ajou University for his Post Doctoral Fellowship award from the BK 21 project. Authors thank Dr. Rajamohan R Kalluru, Mississippi Ethanol LLC, USA for fruitful discussions.
- 1.Dampier F (1974) J Electrochem Soc 121:121Google Scholar
- 2.Margalit N (1974) J Electrochem Soc 121:1460Google Scholar
- 3.Kumagai N, Tanno K (1987) J Electrochem Soc 134:406Google Scholar
- 4.Nijnikovsky E (1998) J Electrochem Soc 34:772Google Scholar
- 9.Hu Y, Chen W, Xu Q (2001) J Mater Sci Technol 17:124Google Scholar
- 15.Chen W (1998) Synthesis, structure and properties of polymer-layered silicate nanocomposite, D.S. Dissertation, Wuhan University of Technology, p 6Google Scholar