Facial growth evaluation of complete unilateral cleft lip and palate operated patients: a cleft reference center in Paraíba, Brazil, using the “GOSLON” yardstick
To evaluate the surgical outcomes of patients with complete unilateral cleft lip and palate (CUCLP) operated on by a single surgeon of the cleft reference center of the Lauro Wanderley University Hospital at the Federal University of Paraiba.
Forty-four individuals' dental casts diagnosed with CUCLP, born between 1995 and 2002, mean age of 11 years, were evaluated by three calibrated orthodontic specialists and scored by the Great Ormond Street, London and Oslo (GOSLON) yardstick on two occasions. The scores were compared with those observed in other centers around the world. The Kappa test was applied to evaluate the intra- and inter-examiner agreement. Descriptive statistics was applied for the GOSLON yardsticks core.
The mean GOSLON score was 2.75. For the GOSLON yardstick, 43.2 % of the sample presented scores 1 and 2, 31.8 % had score 3, and 25 % were with scores 4 and 5. There was very good intra- and inter-examiner Kappa agreement in the application of the GOSLON yardstick.
The data suggest favorable outcomes, with 75 % of cases with no need of orthognathic surgery. The Kappa values confirmed the high reproducibility of the GOSLON yardstick.
KeywordsGOSLON yardstick Cleft lip and palate Maxillary growth
- 1.Altman DG (1991) Practical statistics for medical research. Chapman & Hall, London, pp 403–409Google Scholar
- 7.Graciano MIG, Tavano LDA, Bachega MI. Aspectos psicossociais da reabilitação. In: TRINDADE, I.E.K.;______.:org(s).Fissuras labiopalatinas: uma abordagem interdisciplinar. São Paulo: Santos, 2007.p.311-333.Google Scholar
- 9.Hathaway R, Daskalogiannakis J, Mercado A, Russell K, Long RE, Cohen M, Semb G, Shaw W (2011) The Americleft study: an inter-center study of treatment outcomes for patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate part 2. Dental arch relationships. Cleft Palate Craniofacial J 48(3):244–251CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Huddart AG, Bodenahm RS (1972) The evaluation of arch form and occlusion in unilateral cleft palate subjects. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 9(3):194–209Google Scholar
- 14.Lilja J, Mars M, Elander A, Enocson L, Hagberg C, Worrell E, Batra P, Friede H (2006) Analysis of dental arch relationships in Swedish unilateral cleft lip and palate subjects: 20-year longitudinal consecutive series treated with delayed hard palate closure. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(5):606–611PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Mars M, Asher-McDade C, Brattström V, Mc William J, Molsted K, Plint DA, Prahl-Andersen B, Semb G, Shaw WC, The RPS (1992) A six-center international study of treatment outcome in patients with clefts of the lip and palate: part 3 dental arch relationships. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 29(5):405–408PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Ozawa, TO. Avaliação dos efeitos da queiloplastia e palatoplastia primária sobre o crescimento dos arcos dentários de crianças com complete unilateral cleft lip and palate aos 5–6 anos de idade. Araraquara, 2001.Ortodontia (tese), UNESP.Google Scholar
- 24.Shaw WC, Dahl E, Asher-McDdade C, Brattstrom V, Mars M, McWilliam J, Molsted K, Plint DA, Prhal-Andersen B, Roberts C, Semb G (1992) The RPS. A six-center international study of treatment outcome in patients with cleft of the lip and palate: part 5. General discussion and conclusion. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 29(5):413–418PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Silva Filho OG, Freitas JAS. Caracterização Morfológica e Origem Embriológica. In: TRINDADE, I.E.K.;______.:org(s).Fissuras labiopalatinas: uma abordagem interdisciplinar. São Paulo: Santos, 2007;17–49.Google Scholar
- 27.Silva Filho OG. Crescimento Facial. In: TRINDADE, I.E.K.;________ :org(s).Fissuras labiopalatinas: uma abordagem interdisciplinar. São Paulo: Santos, 2007;173–198.Google Scholar
- 29.Watson ACH. Embriologia , etiologia e Incidência. In:______, SELL, D.A.; GRUNWELL, P.:org(s).Tratamento de Fissura Labial e Fenda Palatina. São Paulo: Santos, 2005;3–15.Google Scholar
- 30.WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION. Global strategies to reduce the healthcare burden of craniofacial anomalies. Report of WHO meetings on International Collaborative Research on Craniofacial Anomalies: WHO Human Genetics Program; Geneva, Switzeland; 2002;140–148.Google Scholar