An improved stochastic fractal search algorithm for 3D protein structure prediction
- 199 Downloads
Protein structure prediction (PSP) is a significant area for biological information research, disease treatment, and drug development and so on. In this paper, three-dimensional structures of proteins are predicted based on the known amino acid sequences, and the structure prediction problem is transformed into a typical NP problem by an AB off-lattice model. This work applies a novel improved Stochastic Fractal Search algorithm (ISFS) to solve the problem. The Stochastic Fractal Search algorithm (SFS) is an effective evolutionary algorithm that performs well in exploring the search space but falls into local minimums sometimes. In order to avoid the weakness, Lvy flight and internal feedback information are introduced in ISFS. In the experimental process, simulations are conducted by ISFS algorithm on Fibonacci sequences and real peptide sequences. Experimental results prove that the ISFS performs more efficiently and robust in terms of finding the global minimum and avoiding getting stuck in local minimums.
KeywordsProtein structure prediction AB off-lattice model Stochastic fractal search algorithm Lvy flight Internal feedback information
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61672121, 61751203, 61772100, 61702070, 61572093), Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (No. IRT_15R07), the Program for Liaoning Innovative Research Team in University (No. LT2015002), the Basic Research Program of the Key Lab in Liaoning Province Educational Department (No. LZ2015004).
- 1.May A, Pool R, Van DE, Bijlard J, Abeln S, Heringa J, Feenstra KA (2014) Coarse-grained versus atomistic simulations: realistic interaction free energies for real proteins. Bioinformatics 30(3):326–334Google Scholar
- 6.Abbass J, Nebel J, Mansour N (2014) Ab initio protein structure prediction: methods and challenges. In: Biological Knowledge Discovery Handbook: preprocessing, Mining, and Postprocessing of Biological Data. John Wiley &, Sons, pp 703–724Google Scholar
- 10.Li YZ, Zhou CJ, Zheng XD (2015) Artificial bee colony algorithm for the protein structure prediction based on the toy model. Fundam Inform 136(3):241–252Google Scholar
- 12.Li B, Lin M, Liu Q, Zhou CJ (2015) Protein folding optimization based on 3D off-lattice model via an improved artificial bee colony algorithm. J Mol Model 21(10):1–15Google Scholar
- 13.Xu Y, Zhou CJ, Zhang Q (2016) 3D Protein Structure Prediction with BSA-TS Algorithm. In: Trends in applied knowledge-based systems and data science. Springer International Publishing, pp 437–450Google Scholar
- 18.Chechkin AV, Metzler R, Klafter J, Gonchar VY (2008) Introduction to the theory of levy flights. Anomalous Transport: Foundations and Applications 49(2):431–451Google Scholar
- 20.Sun C, Wei ZQ, Zhou CJ, Wang B (2016) Stochastic Fractal Search Algorithm for 3D Protein Structure Prediction. In: 2016 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science (AICS 2016), pp 156–160Google Scholar
- 21.Shatabda S, Newton MAH (2013) Sattar A Mixed heuristic local search for protein structure prediction. In: AAAI conference on artificial intelligence, pp 876–882Google Scholar