CO2 adsorption on polar surfaces of ZnO
- 789 Downloads
Physical and chemical adsorption of CO2 on ZnO surfaces were studied by means of two different implementations of periodic density functional theory. Adsorption energies were computed and compared to values in the literature. In particular, it was found that the calculated equilibrium structure and internuclear distances are in agreement with previous work. CO2 adsorption was analyzed by inspection of the density of states and electron localization function. Valence bands, band gap and final states of adsorbed CO2 were investigated and the effect of atomic displacements analyzed. The partial density of states (PDOS) of chemical adsorption of CO2 on the ZnO(0001) surface show that the p orbitals of CO2 were mixed with the ZnO valence band state appearing at the top of the valence band and in regions of low-energy conduction band.
KeywordsCO2 adsorption Electronic localization function First principles Plane wave ZnO
The authors acknowledge the careful reading done by the referees. The authors are indebted to the financial support of National Council of Technological and Scientific Development (CNPq), Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES), and National Institute of Science and Technology of Materials in Nanotechnology (INCTMN).
- 12.Moreira NH, da Rosa AL, Frauenheim T (2009) Covalent functionalization of ZnO surfaces: a density functional tight binding study. Appl Phys Lett 94:193109Google Scholar
- 14.Chen WK, Zhang YF, Ding KN, Xu YJ, Li Y, Li JQ (2004) A density functional theory study of the adsorption of CO2 on a ZnO(10(1)over-bar0) surface. Chin J Struct Chem 23:337–341Google Scholar
- 16.Kotsis K, Stodt D, Staemmler V, Kovacik R, Meyer B, Traeger F, Langenberg D, Strunskus T, Kunat M, Woll C (2008) CO2 adlayers on the mixed terminated ZnO(10-10) surface studied by he atom scattering, photoelectron spectroscopy and ab initio electronic structure calculations. Z Phys Chem Int J Res Phys Chem Chem Phys 222:891–915Google Scholar
- 20.Wang J, Burghaus U (2005) Adsorption of CO on the copper-precovered ZnO(0001) surface: a molecular-beam scattering study. J Chem Phys 123(18):184716Google Scholar
- 22.Wang J, Burghaus U (2005) Adsorption dynamics of CO2 on Zn-ZnO(0001): a molecular beam study. J Chem Phys 122:044705Google Scholar
- 33.Perdew JP (1991) Electronic structure of solids. Akademie, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 43.Kohout M (2011) DGRID, version 4.6. RadebeulGoogle Scholar