Taurine supplementation reduces neuroinflammation and protects against white matter injury after intracerebral hemorrhage in rats
- 393 Downloads
Intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH) initiates a neuroinflammatory cascade that contributes to substantial neuronal damage and neurological deterioration. Taurine, an abundant amino acid in the nervous system, is reported to reduce inflammatory injury in various central nervous system diseases, but its role and the possible underlying mechanisms in the pathology following ICH remains unclear. This study was designed to evaluate the effect of taurine supplementation on neurological deficits, acute inflammatory responses and white matter injury in a model of ICH in rats. Adult male Sprague–Dawley (SD) rats subjected to collagenase-induced ICH injury were injected intravenously with different concentrations of taurine or vehicle 10 min after ICH and subsequently daily for 3 days. Behavioral studies, brain water content, and assessments of hemorrhagic lesion volume were quantified at day 1 and day 3 post-ICH. Neuronal damage, peri-hematomal inflammatory responses, and white matter injury were determined at 24 h, meanwhile, the content of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) along with the expression of cystathionine-β-synthase (CBS) and P2X7 receptor (P2X7R) in peri-hematomal tissues was analyzed to investigate the possible anti-inflammatory mechanism of taurine. Treatment with a high dosage of taurine (50 mg/kg) significantly attenuated functional deficits and reduced brain edema and hemorrhagic lesion volume after ICH. Taurine administration also resulted in significant amelioration of neuronal damage and white matter injury. These changes were associated with marked reductions in neutrophil infiltration, glial activation, and expression levels of inflammatory mediators. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory effect of taurine was accompanied by increased H2S content, enhanced CBS expression, and less expression of P2X7R. Our study demonstrated that the high dosage of taurine supplementation effectively mitigated the severity of pathological inflammation and white matter injury after ICH, and the mechanism may be related to upregulation of H2S content and reduced P2X7R expression.
KeywordsTaurine Intracerebral hemorrhage Inflammation White matter Hydrogen sulfide P2X7 receptor
This work was supported by the National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program, Grant number 2014CB541600), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant numbers 81501002), the Basic Science and Advanced Technology Research Project of Chongqing (Grant number cstc2016jcyjA0114), and the Major Innovation Project of Southwest Hospital (Grant number SWH2016ZDCX1011).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Barges-Coll J, Perez-Neri I, Avendano J, Mendez-Rosito D, Gomez-Amador JL, Rios C (2013) Plasma taurine as a predictor of poor outcome in patients with mild neurological deficits after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. J Neurosurg 119(4):1021–1027. https://doi.org/10.3171/2013.4.JNS121558 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chouraki V, Preis SR, Yang Q, Beiser A, Li S, Larson MG, Weinstein G, Wang TJ, Gerszten RE, Vasan RS, Seshadri S (2017) Association of amine biomarkers with incident dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in the Framingham Study. Alzheimers Dement. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2017.04.009 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- DiNicolantonio JJ, OK JH, McCarty MF (2017) Boosting endogenous production of vasoprotective hydrogen sulfide via supplementation with taurine and N-acetylcysteine: a novel way to promote cardiovascular health. Open Heart 4(1):e000600. https://doi.org/10.1136/openhrt-2017-000600 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Guler L, Tavlasoglu M, Yucel O, Guler A, Sahin MA, Kurkluoglu M, Sirin Y, Eken A, Gamsizkan M, Dakak M, Gurkok S, Genc O (2014) Taurine attenuates lung ischemia-reperfusion injury after lung transplantation in rats. J Anesth 28(3):347–353. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-013-1741-2 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Li R, Ma K, Zhao H, Feng Z, Yang Y, Ge H, Zhang X, Tang J, Yin Y, Liu X, Tan L, Feng H (2016) Cattle encephalon glycoside and ignotin reduced white matter injury and prevented post-hemorrhagic hydrocephalus in a rat model of intracerebral hemorrhage. Sci Rep 6:35923. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep35923 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Su Y, Fan W, Ma Z, Wen X, Wang W, Wu Q, Huang H (2014) Taurine improves functional and histological outcomes and reduces inflammation in traumatic brain injury. Neuroscience 266:56–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2014.02.006 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sun Q, Wang B, Li Y, Sun F, Li P, Xia W, Zhou X, Li Q, Wang X, Chen J, Zeng X, Zhao Z, He H, Liu D, Zhu Z (2016) Taurine supplementation lowers blood pressure and improves vascular function in prehypertension: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Hypertension 67(3):541–549. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.115.06624 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wang J, Wang G, Yi J, Xu Y, Duan S, Li T, Sun XG, Dong L (2017) The effect of monascin on hematoma clearance and edema after intracerebral hemorrhage in rats. Brain Res Bull 134:24–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2017.06.018 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ward RJ, Lallemand F, de Witte P, Crichton RR, Piette J, Tipton K, Hemmings K, Pitard A, Page M, Della Corte L, Taylor D, Dexter D (2011) Anti-inflammatory actions of a taurine analogue, ethane beta-sultam, in phagocytic cells, in vivo and in vitro. Biochem Pharmacol 81(6):743–751. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2010.12.030 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Zhang X, Dai Z, Feng Y, Li Q, Zhang JH, Liu X, Chen Y, Feng H (2016) P2X7 receptor suppression preserves blood-brain barrier through inhibiting rhoa activation after experimental intracerebral hemorrhage in rats. Sci Rep 6:23286. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep23286 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhao H, Pan P, Yang Y, Ge H, Chen W, Qu J, Shi J, Cui G, Liu X, Feng H, Chen Y (2017) Endogenous hydrogen sulphide attenuates NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated neuroinflammation by suppressing the P2X7 receptor after intracerebral haemorrhage in rats. J Neuroinflammation 14(1):163. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12974-017-0940-4 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zhuo F, Qiu G, Xu J, Yang M, Wang K, Liu H, Huang J, Lu W, Liu Q, Xu S, Huang S, Sun S (2016) Both endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondrial pathways are involved in oligodendrocyte apoptosis induced by capsular hemorrhage. Mol Cell Neurosci 72:64–71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcn.2016.01.009 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar