A convenient synthesis of 4-(2-hydroxyethyl)indolin-2-one, a useful intermediate for the preparation of both dopamine receptor agonists and protein kinase inhibitors
This paper describes a practical approach to the preparation of 4-(2-hydroxyethyl)indolin-2-one, a key intermediate in the synthesis of dopaminergic agonists such as ropinirole—a drug used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and restless legs syndrome—and of two sets of protein kinase inhibitors. The sequence starts from commercially available 2-(2-methyl-3-nitrophenyl)acetic acid, which is converted in five steps into the desired target compound. This procedure offers a convenient alternative route to existing methodologies, given its milder reaction conditions, ease of implementation, and its overall yield (59 %).
KeywordsD2/D3 agonists Heterocycles Indolin-2-ones One-pot synthesis Ropinirole Synthetic improvement
This research project was financially supported by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research, PRIN grant 2009R7WCZS to MDA. CM wishes to thank the University of Milan for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- 4.Maremmani AGI, Pacini M, Rovai L, Rugani F, Dell’Osso L, Maremmani I (2011) Front Psychiatry 2:1Google Scholar
- 6.Giles R, Walsgrove TC (1991) Process for the preparation of substituted indolone derivatives. PCT Int. Appl. WO 91/16306, Oct 31, 1991. Chem Abstr 116:106086Google Scholar
- 8.Zhou F (2009) Process for preparation of ropinirole hydrochloride from benzeneethanol. Faming Zhuanli Shenqing CN 101481347 A, Jul 15, 2009. Chem Abstr 151:245487Google Scholar
- 10.Tang PC, Xia Y, Hawtin R ((2004)) Hexahydro-cyclohepta-pyrrole oxindole as potent kinase inhibitors. US Pat Appl Publ US 2004/0186160 A1, Sep 23, 2004. Chem Abstr 141:295860Google Scholar
- 11.Tang PC, Miller TA, Shirazian S (2005) Cyclic sulfonate pyrrole indolinones as kinase inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2005/113561 A1, Dec 1, 2005. Chem Abstr 144:22805Google Scholar
- 12.Deng B, Su Y, Zhang L, Xiao L (2007) Pyrrolo[3,2-c]pyridine-4-one 2-indolinone protein kinase inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2007/085188 A1, Aug 2, 2007. Chem Abstr 147:235146Google Scholar
- 13.Tang P, Su Y, Li Y, Zhang L, Zhao F, Yang J, Zhou Y (2008) Derivatives of pyrroloazacycles, the method of making them and the use thereof as inhibitors of protein kinases. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2008/138184 A1, Nov 20, 2008. Chem Abstr 149:576533Google Scholar
- 14.Bandiera T, Lombardi Borgia A, Paolucci P, Orrenius C, Galvani A (2008) 4-Arylpyrrole substituted 2-indoline derivatives active as protein kinase inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2008/145398 A1, Dec 4, 2008. Chem Abstr 150:19994Google Scholar