The O-polysaccharide of Escherichia coli F5, which is structurally related to that of E. coli O28ab, provides cells only weak protection against bacteriophage attack
- 30 Downloads
Several types of Escherichia coli O-antigens form highly effective shields protecting the bacterial cell surface and preventing bacteriophages from interacting directly with their secondary (terminal) receptors. However, it is not clear if O-antigens of various types (O-serotypes) differ in their anti-phage protection efficacy. Here, we describe a new E. coli strain, F5, which has an E. coli O28ab-related O-antigen. Although the amount of O-antigen produced by this strain is comparable to that produced by other E. coli strains we tested, it appears to give the cells significantly lower protection against phage attack than other O-antigen types, such as the O-polysaccharide of E. coli F17, which we studied earlier.
The authors thank Dr. A.S. Dmitrenok and Prof. A.S. Shashkov for help with NMR spectroscopy, and Dr. A.O. Chizhov for measuring the mass spectrum. We are also grateful to Dr. Ember Johnson-Neuroth from The Evergreen State College, USA, for the linguistic correction of the manuscript. This work was supported partially by the Russian Science Foundation Grant no. 15-15-00134P (structural analysis of the O-antigen and screening of environmental objects).
- 3.Zivanovic Y, Confalonieri F, Ponchon L, Lurz R, Chami M, Flayhan A, Renouard M, Huet A, Decottignies P, Davidson AR, Breyton C, Boulanger P (2014) Insights into bacteriophage T5 structure from analysis of its morphogenesis genes and protein components. J Virol 88(2):1162–1174. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02262-13 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Osawa K, Shigemura K, Iguchi A, Shirai H, Imayama T, Seto K, Raharjo D, Fujisawa M, Osawa R, Shirakawa T (2013) Modulation of O-antigen chain length by the wzz gene in Escherichia coli O157 influences its sensitivities to serum complement. Microbiol Immunol 57(9):616–623. https://doi.org/10.1111/1348-0421.12084 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Knirel YA, Prokhorov NS, Shashkov AS, Ovchinnikova OG, Zdorovenko EL, Liu B, Kostryukova ES, Larin AK, Golomidova AK, Letarov AV (2015) Variations in O-antigen biosynthesis and O-acetylation associated with altered phage sensitivity in Escherichia coli 4s. J Bacteriol 197(5):905–912. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.02398-14 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Golomidova AK, Kulikov EE, Prokhorov NS, Guerrero-Ferreira Rcapital Es C, Knirel YA, Kostryukova ES, Tarasyan KK, Letarov AV (2016) Branched lateral tail fiber organization in T5-like bacteriophages DT57C and DT571/2 is revealed by genetic and functional analysis. Viruses 8:1. https://doi.org/10.3390/v8010026 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Knirel YA, Ivanov PA, Senchenkova SN, Naumenko OI, Ovchinnikova OO, Shashkov AS, Golomidova AK, Babenko VV, Kulikov EE, Letarov AV (2019) Structure and gene cluster of the O antigen of Escherichia coli F17, a candidate for a new O-serogroup. Int J Biol Macromol 124:389–395. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.11.149 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kulikov EE, Golomidova AK, Letarova MA, Kostryukova ES, Zelenin AS, Prokhorov NS, Letarov AV (2014) Genomic sequencing and biological characteristics of a novel Escherichia coli bacteriophage 9g, a putative representative of a new Siphoviridae genus. Viruses 6(12):5077–5092. https://doi.org/10.3390/v6125077 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Thiaville JJ, Kellner SM, Yuan Y, Hutinet G, Thiaville PC, Jumpathong W, Mohapatra S, Brochier-Armanet C, Letarov AV, Hillebrand R, Malik CK, Rizzo CJ, Dedon PC, de Crecy-Lagard V (2016) Novel genomic island modifies DNA with 7-deazaguanine derivatives. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 113(11):E1452–E1459. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1518570113 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Shashkov AS, Yang B, Senchenkova SN, Perepelov AV, Liu B, Knirel YA (2016) Structures and genetics of biosynthesis of glycerol 1-phosphate-containing O-polysaccharides of Escherichia coli O28ab, O37, and O100. Carbohyd Res 426:26–32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carres.2016.03.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Zdorovenko EL, Wang Y, Shashkov AS, Chen T, Ovchinnikova OG, Liu B, Golomidova AK, Babenko VV, Letarov AV, Knirel YA (2018) O-Antigens of Escherichia coli strains O81 and HS3-104 are structurally and genetically related, except O-antigen glucosylation in E. coli HS3-104. Biochem Biokhim 83(5):534–541. https://doi.org/10.1134/s0006297918050061 CrossRefGoogle Scholar