Genetic characterization of bank vole virus (BaVV), a new paramyxovirus isolated from kidneys of bank voles in Russia
- 169 Downloads
A genome of bank vole virus (BaVV), isolated from kidney tissues of bank voles (Myodes glareolus) in Russia in 1973, was sequenced. The genomic organization of BaVV (3’-N-P/V/C-M-F-G-L-5’, 16,992 nt in length; GenBank accession number MF943130) is most similar to that of Mossman virus (MoV) and Nariva virus (NarPV), two ungrouped paramyxoviruses isolated from rodents in Australia and Trinidad, respectively. The proteins of BaVV have the highest level of sequence identity (ranging from 23-28% for G protein to 66-73% for M protein) to proteins of MoV and NarPV. The results of genetic and phylogenetic analysis suggest that BaVV represents a new species and, together with MoV and NarPV, belongs to a new, yet not established genus of the family Paramyxoviridae.
We thank Andrey Botikov for technical assistance in sequencing on the Illumina MiSeq device.
This work was partially funded by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, research project 16-04-01769a.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- 1.Afonso CL, Amarasinghe GK, Banyai K, Bao Y, Basler CF, Bavari S, Bejerman N, Blasdell KR, Briand FX, Briese T, Bukreyev A, Calisher CH, Chandran K, Cheng J, Clawson AN, Collins PL, Dietzgen RG, Dolnik O, Domier LL, Durrwald R, Dye JM, Easton AJ, Ebihara H, Farkas SL, Freitas-Astua J, Formenty P, Fouchier RA, Fu Y, Ghedin E, Goodin MM, Hewson R, Horie M, Hyndman TH, Jiang D, Kitajima EW, Kobinger GP, Kondo H, Kurath G, Lamb RA, Lenardon S, Leroy EM, Li CX, Lin XD, Liu L, Longdon B, Marton S, Maisner A, Muhlberger E, Netesov SV, Nowotny N, Patterson JL, Payne SL, Paweska JT, Randall RE, Rima BK, Rota P, Rubbenstroth D, Schwemmle M, Shi M, Smither SJ, Stenglein MD, Stone DM, Takada A, Terregino C, Tesh RB, Tian JH, Tomonaga K, Tordo N, Towner JS, Vasilakis N, Verbeek M, Volchkov VE, Wahl-Jensen V, Walsh JA, Walker PJ, Wang D, Wang LF, Wetzel T, Whitfield AE, Xie JT, Yuen KY, Zhang YZ, Kuhn JH (2016) Taxonomy of the order Mononegavirales: update 2016. Arch Virol 161:2351–2360CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Butenko AM, Rodin VI, Bashkirtsev VN (1975) Isolation of pathogenic agents from kidney of bank voles caught in the HFRS foci. In: Chumakov MP (ed) Aspects of Medical Virology, XVIII final session of Institute of Poliomielitis and Viral Encephalitis of AMS USSR, Moscow, pp 273–275Google Scholar
- 3.Huelsenbeck J, Larget B, van der Mark P, Ronquist F, Simon D, Teslenko T (2015) MrBayes: Bayesian inference of phylogeny. http://mrbayes.sourceforge.net/index.php. Accessed 17 May 2017
- 5.Lamb RA, Parks GD (2007) Paramyxoviridae: the virus and their replication. In: Knipe DM, Griffin DE, Lamb RA, Straus SE, Howley PM, Martin DA, Roizman B (eds) Fields virology. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 1449–1496Google Scholar
- 11.Wang L-F, Collins PL, Fouchier RAM, Kurath G, Lamb RA, Randall RE, Rima BK (2012) Family Paramyxoviridae. In: King AM, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ (eds) Virus taxonomy: classification and nomenclature of viruses: ninth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Academic Press, London, pp 672–685Google Scholar