Complete genome sequence of switchgrass mosaic virus, a member of a proposed new species in the genus Marafivirus
- 347 Downloads
The complete genome sequence of a virus recently detected in switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) was determined and found to be closely related to that of maize rayado fino virus (MRFV), genus Marafivirus, family Tymoviridae. The genomic RNA is 6408 nucleotides long. It contains three predicted open reading frames (ORFs 1-3), encoding proteins of 227 kDa, 43.9 kDa, and 31.5 kDa, compared to two ORFs (1 and 2) for MRFV. The complete genome shares 76 % sequence identity with MRFV. The nucleotide sequence of ORF2 of this virus and the amino acid sequence of its encoded protein are 49 % and 77 % identical, respectively, to those of MRFV. The virus-encoded polyprotein and capsid protein aa sequences are 83 % and 74-80 % identical, respectively, to those of MRFV. Although closely related to MRFV, the amino acid sequence of its capsid protein (CP) forms a clade that is separate from that of MRFV. Based on the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) sequence-related criteria for delineation of species within the genus Marafivirus, the virus qualifies as a member of a new species, and the name Switchgrass mosaic virus (SwMV) is proposed.
KeywordsCapsid Protein Amino Acid Sequence Identity Panicum Virgatum Turnip Yellow Mosaic Virus Corn Leafhopper
We are grateful to British Petroleum (BP) and the Energy Biosciences Institute (EBI), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, for their support and funding of this research.
- 3.Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ (1990) Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol 215: 403–410. doi: 10.1006/jmbi.1990.9999. http://wwwmath.mit.edu/~lippert/18.417/papers/altschuletal1990.pdf Google Scholar
- 11.Fauquet CM, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA (2005) Virus Taxonomy: Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Elsevier/Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gamez R (1977) Leafhopper-transmitted Maize rayado fino virus in Central America International maize virus disease colloquium and workshop proceedings pp 15–17Google Scholar
- 20.King AMQ, Adams MJ, Carstens EB, Lefkowitz EJ (2012) Virus Taxonomy. Ninth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Elsevier Academic, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 22.Maccheroni W, Alegria MC, Greggio CC, Piazza JP, Kamla RF, Zacharias PRA, Bar-Joseph M, Kitajima EW, Assumpção LC et al (2005) Identification and genomic characterization of a new virus (Tymoviridae family) associated with citrus sudden death disease. J Virol 79:3028–3037PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Oman PW (1948) Distribution of Baldulus maidis (DeLong and Wolcott). Proc Entomol Soc Wash 50(2):34Google Scholar
- 31.Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S (2007) MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis MEGA software version 40. Mol Biol Evol 24:1596–1599Google Scholar