Multiple interspecies recombination events within RNA2 of Grapevine fanleaf virus and Arabis mosaic virus
- 235 Downloads
Sequence alignments and SISCAN analyses inferred multiple interspecies recombination events within RNA2 of strains GHu of Grapevine fanleaf virus (GFLV) and Ta of Arabis mosaic virus (ArMV), two closely related subgroup A nepoviruses in the family Comoviridae. Interspecies recombination events were identified in the 5′ untranslated region, the putative homing protein and movement protein genes but not in the coat protein gene and 3′ untranslated region. These findings suggest a dynamic relationship between GFLV and ArMV, and a differential selection pressure on RNA2-encoded proteins with constraints in terms of function and co-adaptation that limit interspecies recombination to certain gene segments.
KeywordsGene 2BMP Protein 2BMP Chimeric RNA2 Grapevine Fanleaf Virus Differential Selection Pressure
This work was partially supported by a competitive grant from the European Commission (Environmental impact assessment of the transgenic grapevines and plums on the diversity and dynamics of virus populations, QLK3-CT-2002-02140). We are indebted to Dr. L. M. Yepes for critically reading the manuscript.
- 1.Andret-Link P, Laporte C, Valat L, Laval L, Ritzenthaler C, Demangeat G, Vigne E, Pfeiffer P, Stussi-Garaud C, Fuchs M (2004) Grapevine fanleaf virus: still a major threat to the grapevine industry. J Plant Pathol 86:183–195Google Scholar
- 5.Bovey R, Gärtel W, Hewitt WP, Martelli GP, Vuittenez A (1980) The most important virus diseases of grapevine. In: Bovey R, Gärtel W, Hewitt WP, Martelli GP, Vuittenez A (eds) Virus and virus-like diseases of grapevines. Editions Payot, Lausanne, pp 46–56Google Scholar
- 12.Le Gall O, Sanfaçon H, Ikegami M, Iwanami T, Jones T, Karasev A, Lehto K, Wellink J, Wetzel T, Yoshikawa N (2007) Cheravirus and Sadwavirus: two unassigned genera of plant positive-sense single-stranded RNA viruses formerly considered atypical members of the genus Nepovirus (family Comoviridae). Arch Virol 159:1767–1774CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Legin R, Bass P, Etienne L, Fuchs M (1993) Selection of mild virus strains of fanleaf degeneration by comparative field performance of infected grapevines. Vitis 32:103–110Google Scholar
- 15.Martin DP, van der Walt E, Posada D, Rybicki EP (2005) The evolutionary value of recombination is constrained by genome modularity. PLoS Genetics 4:e51Google Scholar
- 16.Mayo MA, Robinson DJ (1996) Nepoviruses: molecular biology and replication. In: Harrison BD, Murant AF (eds) The plant viruses, polyhedral virions and bipartite RNA. Plenum, New York, pp 139–185Google Scholar