The effect of bilateral transcranial direct current stimulation on early auditory processing in schizophrenia: a preliminary study
- 291 Downloads
Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) was applied bilaterally over the auditory cortex in 12 schizophrenia patients to modulate early auditory processing. Performance on a tone discrimination task (tone-matching task—TMT) and auditory mismatch negativity were assessed after counterbalanced anodal, cathodal, and sham tDCS. Cathodal stimulation improved TMT performance (p < 0.03) compared to sham condition. Post-hoc analyses revealed a stimulation condition by negative symptom interaction in which greater negative symptoms were associated with a better TMT performance after anodal tDCS.
KeywordsSchizophrenia Transcranial direct current stimulation tDCS Auditory processing Mismatch negativity Tone-matching task
Compliance with ethical standards
This study was funded by the Veterans Administration (VA) Desert Pacific Veterans Integrated Service Network 22 (VISN 22) Mental Illness Research, Education, and Clinical Center (MIRECC).
- Andreasen NC (1984) The scale for the assessment of negative symptoms (SANS). The University of Iowa, Iowa CityGoogle Scholar
- Brunelin J, Mondino M, Gassab L, Haesebaert F, Gaha L, Suaud-Chagny MF, Saoud M, Mechri A, Poulet E (2012) Examining transcranial direct-current stimulation (tDCS) as a treatment for hallucinations in schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 169(7):719–724. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2012.11071091 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dunn W, Rassovsky Y, Wynn JK, Wu AD, Iacoboni M, Hellemann G, Green MF (2016) Modulation of neurophysiological auditory processing measures by bilateral transcranial direct current stimulation in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 174(1–3):189–191. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2016.04.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gold R, Butler P, Revheim N, Leitman DI, Hansen JA, Gur RC, Kantrowitz JT, Laukka P, Juslin PN, Silipo GS, Javitt DC (2012) Auditory emotion recognition impairments in schizophrenia: relationship to acoustic features and cognition. Am J Psychiatry 169(4):424–432. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11081230 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Horvath JC, Forte JD, Carter O (2015a) Evidence that transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) generates little-to-no reliable neurophysiologic effect beyond MEP amplitude modulation in healthy human subjects: a systematic review. Neuropsychologia 66:213–236. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2014.11.021 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kantrowitz JT, Leitman DI, Lehrfeld JM, Laukka P, Juslin PN, Butler PD, Silipo G, Javitt DC (2013) Reduction in tonal discriminations predicts receptive emotion processing deficits in schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Schizophr Bull 39(1):86–93. doi: 10.1093/schbul/sbr060 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Revheim N, Corcoran CM, Dias E, Hellmann E, Martinez A, Butler PD, Lehrfeld JM, DiCostanzo J, Albert J, Javitt DC (2014) Reading deficits in schizophrenia and individuals at high clinical risk: relationship to sensory function, course of illness, and psychosocial outcome. Am J Psychiatry 171(9):949–959. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2014.13091196 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Swerdlow NR, Light GA, Cadenhead KS, Sprock J, Hsieh MH, Braff DL (2006) Startle gating deficits in a large cohort of patients with schizophrenia: relationship to medications, symptoms, neurocognition, and level of function. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63(12):1325–1335. doi: 10.1001/archpsyc.63.12.1325 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Turetsky BI, Dress EM, Braff DL, Calkins ME, Green MF, Greenwood TA, Gur RE, Gur RC, Lazzeroni LC, Nuechterlein KH, Radant AD, Seidman LJ, Siever LJ, Silverman JM, Sprock J, Stone WS, Sugar CA, Swerdlow NR, Tsuang DW, Tsuang MT, Light G (2014) The utility of P300 as a schizophrenia endophenotype and predictive biomarker: clinical and socio-demographic modulators in COGS-2. Schizophr Res. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2014.09.024 Google Scholar