A ratiometric upconversion nanoprobe for fluorometric turn-on detection of sulfite and bisulfite
- 105 Downloads
A nanoprobe is described for the ratiometric fluorometric determination of sulfite ions. Upconversion nanoparticles (UCNPs) of the type β-NaYF4:Yb(III),Er(III),Tm(III) were covalently modified with the molecular probe HIAN which is a hydroxynaphthalimide fluorophore modified with a (cationic) indolinium moiety. Under excitation at 980 nm, the green emission of the UCNPs (peaking at 543 nm) is almost totally quenched, while the NIR emission (peaking at 802 nm) remains unaffected. In the presence of sulfite or bisulfite (hydrogen sulfite), the green fluorescence is restored and can be visually observed. A ratiometric method was worked out by measurement of the ratio of the green and NIR emissions. The analytical range extends from 10 to 250 μM, the limit of detection is 0.14 μM, and the assay can be performed within 40 s.
KeywordsUpconversion luminescence Ratiometric Inner filter effect Sulfite/bisulfite Lanthanide Michael reaction Naphthalimide fluorophores Nanoparticles
We are grateful for the financial supports from National Natural Science Foundation of China (81741134, 81671756), Key Research Project of Science and Technology Foundation of Hunan Province (2017SK2093) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of Central South University (1053320170134).
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 4.Stipanuk MH (1986) Metabolism of sulfur-containing amino acids. Annu Rev Nutr 6(1):179–209. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.06.070186.001143 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sang N1, Yun Y, Li H, Hou L, Han M, Li G (2010) SO2 inhalation contributes to the development and progression of ischemic stroke in the brain. Toxicological sciences an official journal of the Society of Toxicology 114 (2):226. 10.1093/toxsci/kfq010Google Scholar
- 7.Iwasawa S, Kikuchi Y, Nishiwaki Y, Nakano M, Michikawa T, Tsuboi T, Tanaka S, Uemura T, Ishigami A, Nakashima H, Takebayashi T, Adachi M, Morikawa A, Maruyama K, Kudo S, Uchiyama I, Omae K (2009) Effects of SO2 on respiratory system of adult Miyakejima resident 2 years after returning to the island. J Occup Health 51(1):38–47. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.L8075 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Li H, Wang L (2013) NaYF4:Yb3+/Er3+ nanoparticle-based upconversion luminescence resonance energy transfer probe for mercury(II) quantification. Analyst 138(5): 1589–1595. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3an36601d
- 18.Liu X, Yang Q, Chen W, Mo L, Chen S, Kang J, Song X (2015) A ratiometric fluorescent probe for rapid, sensitive and selective detection of sulfur dioxide with large stokes shifts by single wavelength excitation. Organic Biomol Chem 13(32):8663–8668. https://doi.org/10.1039/c5ob00765h CrossRefGoogle Scholar