Quick colorimetric determination of choline in milk and serum based on the use of MoS2 nanosheets as a highly active enzyme mimetic
The authors have synthesized molybdenum disulfide nanosheets (MoS2 nanosheets) by using a bottom-up hydrothermal method. The nanosheets display strong catalytic (enzyme mimetic) activity in catalyzing the oxidation of peroxidase substrate of 3,3′,5,5′-tetramethylbenzidine (TMB) in presence of H2O2 to produce a blue product. The peroxidase mimicking properties of MoS2 nanosheets depend on temperature, H2O2 concentration and pH value. A choline assay was worked out where choline was oxidized by choline oxidase in presence of oxygen to produce H2O2 which is colorimetrically detected, best at 652 nm. The method works in the 1 to 180 μM choline concentration range with a 0.4 μM detection limit. Color changes may also be detected visually. The assay is simple, highly sensitive, selective and rapid. It was applied in the determination of choline in (spiked) milk and serum.
KeywordsMolybdenum disulfide nanosheets Choline Tetramethylbenzidine Dip test strip Visual detection
The first author is grateful to SERB N-PDF (PDF/2016/000243) for fellowship. The authors are also thankful to CIF, IIT (BHU) Varanasi for providing characterization facilities.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests. Narsingh R. Nirala and Vinita have been carried out experiments and responsible for raw data if required.
- 3.Koc H, Mar M-H, Ranasinghe A et al (2002) Quantitation of choline and its metabolites in tissues and foods by liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization-isotope dilution mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 74:4734–4740. https://doi.org/10.1021/AC025624X
- 10.Du J, Zhu B, Chen X (2013) Urine for plasmonic nanoparticle-based colorimetric detection of mercury ion. Small (Weinheim an der Bergstrasse, Germany) 9:4104–11. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.201300593
- 11.Du J, Shao Q, Yin S et al (2012) Colorimetric chemodosimeter based on diazonium-gold-nanoparticle complexes for sulfite ion detection in solution. Small (Weinheim an der Bergstrasse, Germany) 8:3412–6. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/smll.201201650
- 19.Salimi A, Kavosi B, Fathi F, Hallaj R (2013) Highly sensitive immunosensing of prostate-specific antigen based on ionic liquid-carbon nanotubes modified electrode: application as cancer biomarker for prostatebiopsies. Biosens Bioelectron 42:439–446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bios.2012.10.053 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Lu Y, Yu J, Ye W, Yao X, Zhou P, Zhang H, Zhao S, Jia L (2016) Spectrophotometric determination of mercury(II) ions based on their stimulation effect on the peroxidase-like activity of molybdenum disulfide nanosheets. Microchim Acta 183:2481–2489. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-016-1886-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Pati S, Quinto M, Palmisano F, Zambonin PG (2004) Determination of choline in milk, milk powder, and soy lecithin hydrolysates by flow injection analysis and amperometric detection with a choline oxidase based biosensor. J Agric Food Chem 52:4638–4642. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049835+ CrossRefGoogle Scholar