Multicolor immunochromatographic strip test based on gold nanoparticles for the determination of aflatoxin B1 and fumonisins
- 569 Downloads
The authors describe the preparation of desert rose-like gold nanoparticles (DR-GNPs) with a plasmon resonance band at 620 nm which gives them a blue color. They have a hydrodynamic diameter of ∼72 nm and were prepared by a seeding growth approach. The DR-GNPs were characterized by UV-vis spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy and dynamic light scattering. These nonspherical GNPs were used as a label for the antibody in an immunochromatographic strip test (ICST). Despite their particular shape and the higher surface area compared to spherical gold nanoparticles, the DR-GNPs are useful blue labels for the GNP-based strip test. A multicolor ICST for aflatoxin B1 and fumonisins is described that employs both blue DR-GNPs and red spherical GNPs. It allows for simultaneous rapid determination of the two mycotoxins in maize flour, with visual cut-off levels of 2 μg⋅kg-1 for aflatoxin B1 and of 1000 μg⋅kg-1 for fumonisins.
KeywordsNon-spherical gold nanoparticles Labels for immunoassay Lateral flow assay Aflatoxin B1 Fumonisins Maize
Authors are grateful to Dr. M. Manzoli and Prof. V. Maurino for the fruitful and helpful discussion related to the TEM and DLS measurements.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.Chun P (2009) Colloidal gold and other labels for lateral flow immunoassays. In: Wong RC, Tse HY (eds) Lateral flow immunoassay, 1st edn. Humana Press, New York, pp 75–93Google Scholar
- 16.Brown MC (2009) Antibodies: key to a robust lateral flow immunoassay. In: Wong RC, Tse HY (eds) Lateral flow immunoassay, 1st edn. Humana Press, New York, pp 59–74Google Scholar
- 24.International Agency for Research on Cancer, IARC (2002) Evaluation of carcinogenic risks in humans. Some traditional herbal medicines, some mycotoxins, naphtalene and styrene, vol. 82. IARC Press, Lyon, pp 171–274Google Scholar
- 25.Commission Regulation (EU) No 165/2010 (2010) Off J Eur Comm L50:8–12Google Scholar
- 28.International Agency for Research on Cancer, IARC (2002) Monographs on the evaluation of the carcinogenic risk of chemicals to humans. Some traditional herbal medicines, some mycotoxins, naphtalene and styrene, vol. 82. IARC Press, Lyon, pp 301–366Google Scholar
- 29.Commission Regulation (EC) No. 1126/2007 (2007) Off J Eur Comm L255:14–17Google Scholar
- 37.Majdinasab M, Sheikh-Zeinoddin M, Soleimanian-Zad S, Li P, Zhang Q, Li X, Tang X (2015) Ultrasensitive and quantitative gold nanoparticle-based immunochromatographic assay for detection of ochratoxin a in agro-products. J Chromatogr B 974:147–154. doi: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2014.10.034 CrossRefGoogle Scholar