Psoas abscess complicating Crohn’s disease: Report of a case
- 155 Downloads
We describe herein the case of a psoas abscess complicating Crohn’s disease, and present a review of the literature on this unusual disease entity. A 22-yearold Japanese man with a 5-year history of Crohn’s ileocolitis presented with right lower abdominal and hip pain, and a diagnosis of right psoas abscess was subsequently made by abdominal computed tomography (CT). Following the administration of antibiotics and CT-guided percutaneous drainage of the abscess, the patient’s symptoms temporarily improved; however, 2 weeks later, the abscess cavity was found to have extended around the periarticular tissue of the right hip joint. To prevent the development of septic arthritis of the hip joint, surgical drainage of the abscess cavity and ileocecal resection were immediately performed, after which the patient’s condition greatly improved. The resected specimen showed Crohn’s ileocolitis with an external fistula in the terminal ileum which was considered to have caused the psoas abscess. Since psoas abscess in Crohn’s disease can result in serious complications such as septic arthritis of the hip joint if left untreated, aggressive treatment should be initiated without delay.
Key WordsPsoas abscess Crohn’s disease Percutaneous drainage Septic arthritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.1. Van Patter WN, Bargen JA, Dockerty MB, Feldman WH, Mayo CW, Waugh JM (1954) Regional enteritis. Gastroenterology 26:347–450Google Scholar
- 12.Yamamoto T, Morisaki H, Kitano K, Fukada R, Nakajima K, Izukura K, Uematsu K, Ohnishi S, Kikui M (1974) A case of Crohn’s disease, complicated by psoas abscess formation (in Japanese). Kyousai-Iho (Med J Mutual Aid Assoc) 23:530–534Google Scholar
- 14.Tsuzuki H, Tamauchi T, Okamoto T, Yamamura H, Shoji T, Koyama Y (1996) A case of Crohn’s disease complicated by psoas abscess (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Rinsho-Geka Igakukai Zasshi (Jpn J Clin Surg) 57:1654–1657Google Scholar
- 16.Oya M, Hirayasu Y, Akao S, Fujita M, Okuyama T, Ishikawa H (1996) A case of Crohn’s disease complicated by psoas abscess (in Japanese). Shujutsu (Operation) 50:1829–1833Google Scholar
- 17.Mitsui T, Sasaki N, Shibata K, Tanba T, Yamato T, Moriyama S, Yanase S, Ishiguro H, Nakamura M (1997) A case of Crohn’s disease complicated by psoas abscess (in Japanese). Tosan Igakukaishi 19:22–25Google Scholar
- 19.Kawai S, Kubota H, Uematsu T, Kuroyanagi Y, Suzuki H, Nakao K (1998) A case of Crohn’s disease that presented with psoas abscess (in Japanese with English abstract). Nippon Rinsho-Geka Gakkai Zasshi (J Jpn Surg Assoc) 59:2611–2615Google Scholar
- 23.Safrit HD, Mauro MA, Jaques PF (1987) Percutaneous abscess drainage in Crohn’s disease. Am J Roentgenol 148:859–862Google Scholar
- 24.Lambiase RE, Cronan JJ, Dorfman GS, Paolella LP, Haas RA (1988) Percutaneous drainage of abscesses in patients with Crohn disease. Am J Roentgenol 150:1043–1045Google Scholar