Minimally invasive surgery and percutaneous surgery of the hindfoot and midfoot
- 78 Downloads
Minimally invasive surgery (MIS) and percutaneous (PC) surgery recently spread as a new technique in operative forefoot correction, and by extension in hindfoot and midfoot. Numerous procedures were described, and a race for MIS and PC has started. However, performing surgery with small incisions should not be an end in itself. Biomechanical and anatomical concerns must be taken into account and shall not be sacrificed for cosmetic reasons. For the most common hindfoot and midfoot pathologies, we discuss what we consider the surgical necessities and then describe the MIS and/or PC procedure we choose, according to these fundamentals.
KeywordsMinimally invasive surgery Percutaneous surgery Hindfoot Midfoot
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have received or will receive benefits for personal or professional use from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
- 1.Lawrence JE, Nasr P, Fountain DM, Berman L, Robinson AH (2017) Functional outcomes of conservatively managed acute ruptures of the Achilles tendon. Bone Jt J 99-B(1):87–93. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620x.99b1.bjj-2016-0452.r1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Zhang H, Tang H, He Q, Wei Q, Tong D, Wang C, Wu D, Wang G, Zhang X, Ding W, Li D, Ding C, Liu K, Ji F (2015) Surgical VERSUS conservative intervention for acute achilles tendon rupture: a PRISMA-compliant systematic review of overlapping meta-analyses. Medicine (Baltimore) 94(45):e1951. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001951 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.McCormack R, Bovard J (2015) Early functional rehabilitation or cast immobilisation for the postoperative management of acute Achilles tendon rupture? A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br J Sports Med 49(20):1329–1335. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2015-094935 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kolodziej L, Bohatyrewicz A, Kromuszczynska J, Jezierski J, Biedron M (2013) Efficacy and complications of open and minimally invasive surgery in acute Achilles tendon rupture: a prospective randomised clinical study—preliminary report. Int Orthop 37(4):625–629. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-012-1737-9 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lin C, Ma L, Chen W, Tao X, Yuan CS, Zhou BH, Tang KL (2017) A comparative study of the calcaneal closing-wedge calcaneal osteotomy versus posterior–superior prominence removal in both sides with Haglund syndrome. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 97(35):2733–2736. https://doi.org/10.3760/cma.j.issn.0376-2491.2017.35.004 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Roth KE, Peters J, Schmidtmann I, Maus U, Stephan D, Augat P (2014) Intraosseous fixation compared to plantar plate fixation for first metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis: a cadaveric biomechanical analysis. Foot Ankle Int 35(11):1209–1216. https://doi.org/10.1177/1071100714547082 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar