Skeletal metastasis from sarcoma: a report of three cases
- 36 Downloads
In the present report, we describe the very rare occurrence of soft tissue metastases from sarcoma at four sites in three patients, focusing on the clinical course and radiological features. All soft tissue masses occurred as a result of disseminated metastases from malignant sarcomas. The initial symptoms presented as painful masses. Magnetic resonance imaging demonstrated a non-specific appearance for the skeletal metastases derived from the sarcomas, corresponding to the signal of the primary lesion.
KeywordsSkeletal metastasis Sarcoma MRI
Conflict of interest statement
No funds were received in support of this study.
- 1.Razak AR, Chhabra R, Hughes A (2007) Muscular metastasis, a rare presentation of non-small-cell lung cancer. Med Gen Med 25:9–20Google Scholar
- 11.Fidler IJ, Hart IR (1982) Principles of cancer biology: biology of cancer metastasis. In: De Vita VT, Hellman S, Rosenberg SA (eds) Cancer, principles and practice of oncology. Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 82–90Google Scholar
- 14.Mentzel T, Pedeutor F (2002) Pleomorphic liposarcoma. In: Fletcher CDM, Unni KK, Mertens F (eds) World Health Organization classification of tumors: pathology and genetics; tumors of soft tissue and bone. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, pp 44–45Google Scholar
- 16.Gebhard S, Coindre JM, Michels JJ, Terrier P, Bertrand G, Trassard M, Taylor S, Château MC, Marquès B, Picot V, Guillou L (2002) Pleomorphic liposarcoma: clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and follow-up analysis of 63 cases: a study from the French Federation of Cancer Centers Sarcoma Group. Am J Surg Pathol 26:601–616CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Kindblom LG, Meis-Kindblom JM (2002) Myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma. In: Fletcher CDM, Unni KK, Mertens F (eds) World Health Organization classification of tumors: pathology and genetics; tumors of soft tissue and bone. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, pp 96–97Google Scholar
- 22.Benyahya E, Etaouil N, Janani S, Bennis R, Tarfeh M, Louhalia S, Mkinsi O (1997) Sciatica as the first manifestation of a leiomyosarcoma of the buttock. Rev Rheum Engl Ed 64:135–137Google Scholar