An effect comparison of teriparatide and bisphosphonate on posterior lumbar interbody fusion in patients with osteoporosis: a prospective cohort study and preliminary data
- 1.3k Downloads
Our purpose was to evaluate the efficacy of teriparatide for posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF) in osteoporotic women.
Forty-seven osteoporotic patients underwent PLIF with pedicle screw fixation for degenerative lumbar stenosis and instability. Patients were divided into two groups. The teriparatide group (n = 23) was injected subcutaneously with teriparatide (20 μg daily) for 3-month cycles alternating with 3-month periods of oral sodium alendronate for 12 months. The bisphosphonate group (n = 24) was administered oral sodium alendronate (91.37 mg/week) for ≥1 year. Serial plain radiography, computed tomography, and bone mineral densitometry (BMD) evaluations were performed. Fusion rate, bony fusion duration, and T score changes were evaluated. Clinical data [pain scores, Prolo’s functional scale, and Oswestry disability index (ODI)] were also serially evaluated.
The teriparatide group showed earlier fusion than the bisphosphonate group. The average period of bone fusion was 6.0 ± 4.8 months in the teriparatide group but 10.4 ± 7.2 months in the bisphosphonate group. The bone fusion rate in the teriparatide group was higher than that in the bisphosphonate group at 6 months; however, there was no difference 12 and 24 months after surgery. Pain scores and ODI were not significantly different between groups. BMD scores in the teriparatide group were significantly improved compared with the bisphosphonate group 2 years after surgery.
There was no significant improvement in overall fusion rate and clinical outcome in our patients after injection of teriparatide, but the teriparatide group showed faster bony union and highly improved BMD scores.
KeywordsSpinal fusion Osteoporosis Teriparatide Bisphosphonate
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No funds were received in support of this work. No benefits in any form have been or will be received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this manuscript. The authors report no conflict of interest concerning the materials or methods used in this study or the findings specified in this paper.
- 4.Mummaneni PV, Pan J, Haid RW, Rodts GE (2004) Contribution of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 to the rapid creation of interbody fusion when used in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: a preliminary report. Invited submission from the Joint Section Meeting on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, March 2004. J Neurosurg Spine 1:19–23. doi: 10.3171/spi.2004.1.1.0019 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Ajiboye RM, Hamamoto JT, Eckardt MA, Wang JC (2015) Clinical and radiographic outcomes of concentrated bone marrow aspirate with allograft and demineralized bone matrix for posterolateral and interbody lumbar fusion in elderly patients. Eur Spine J 24:2567–2572. doi: 10.1007/s00586-015-4117-5 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Andersen T, Christensen FB, Langdahl BL, Ernst C, Fruensgaard S, Ostergaard J, Andersen JL, Rasmussen S, Niedermann B, Hoy K, Helmig P, Holm R, Lindblad BE, Hansen ES, Egund N, Bunger C (2010) Fusion mass bone quality after uninstrumented spinal fusion in older patients. Eur Spine J 19:2200–2208. doi: 10.1007/s00586-010-1373-2 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ohtori S, Inoue G, Orita S, Yamauchi K, Eguchi Y, Ochiai N, Kishida S, Kuniyoshi K, Aoki Y, Nakamura J, Ishikawa T, Miyagi M, Kamoda H, Suzuki M, Kubota G, Sakuma Y, Oikawa Y, Inage K, Sainoh T, Takaso M, Ozawa T, Takahashi K, Toyone T (2012) Teriparatide accelerates lumbar posterolateral fusion in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: prospective study. Spine 37:E1464–E1468. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e31826ca2a8 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ito Z, Matsuyama Y, Sakai Y, Imagama S, Wakao N, Ando K, Hirano K, Tauchi R, Muramoto A, Matsui H, Matsumoto T, Kanemura T, Yoshida G, Ishikawa Y, Ishiguro N (2010) Bone union rate with autologous iliac bone versus local bone graft in posterior lumbar interbody fusion. Spine 35:E1101–E1105. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181de4f2e CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Al Barbarawi MM, Audat ZM, Allouh MZ (2015) Analytical comparison study of the clinical and radiological outcome of spine fixation using posterolateral, posterior lumber interbody and transforaminal lumber interbody spinal fixation techniques to treat lumber spine degenerative disc disease. Scoliosis 10:17. doi: 10.1186/s13013-015-0040-0 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Cavagna R, Tournier C, Aunoble S, Bouler JM, Antonietti P, Ronai M, Le Huec JC (2008) Lumbar decompression and fusion in elderly osteoporotic patients: a prospective study using less rigid titanium rod fixation. J Spinal Disord Tech 21:86–91. doi: 10.1097/BSD.0b013e3180590c23 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Ohtori S, Inoue G, Orita S, Yamauchi K, Eguchi Y, Ochiai N, Kishida S, Kuniyoshi K, Aoki Y, Nakamura J, Ishikawa T, Miyagi M, Kamoda H, Suzuki M, Kubota G, Sakuma Y, Oikawa Y, Inage K, Sainoh T, Takaso M, Toyone T, Takahashi K (2013) Comparison of teriparatide and bisphosphonate treatment to reduce pedicle screw loosening after lumbar spinal fusion surgery in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis from a bone quality perspective. Spine 38:E487–E492. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e31828826dd CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Koski AM, Loyttyniemi E, Vaananen H, Laine H, Niskanen L, Nevalainen PI, Korpi-Hyovalti E, Valimaki MJ (2013) The effectiveness of teriparatide in the clinical practice–attenuation of the bone mineral density outcome by increasing age and bisphosphonate pretreatment. Ann Med 45:230–235. doi: 10.3109/07853890.2012.742560 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Miwa T, Sakaura H, Yamashita T, Suzuki S, Ohwada T (2013) Surgical outcomes of additional posterior lumbar interbody fusion for adjacent segment disease after single-level posterior lumbar interbody fusion. Eur Spine J 22:2864–2868. doi: 10.1007/s00586-013-2863-9 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Langdahl BL, Rajzbaum G, Jakob F, Karras D, Ljunggren O, Lems WF, Fahrleitner-Pammer A, Walsh JB, Barker C, Kutahov A, Marin F (2009) Reduction in fracture rate and back pain and increased quality of life in postmenopausal women treated with teriparatide: 18-month data from the European Forsteo Observational Study (EFOS). Calcif Tissue Int 85:484–493. doi: 10.1007/s00223-009-9299-6 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 28.Sudo H, Oda I, Abumi K, Ito M, Kotani Y, Hojo Y, Minami A (2003) In vitro biomechanical effects of reconstruction on adjacent motion segment: comparison of aligned/kyphotic posterolateral fusion with aligned posterior lumbar interbody fusion/posterolateral fusion. J Neurosurg 99:221–228PubMedGoogle Scholar