Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in a cat: cytological, histopathological, and immunohistochemical aspects
- 50 Downloads
The malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor is an uncommon tumor in cats. Cytological preparations can be used to diagnose such neoplasia, being a useful tool to characterize a spindle cell tumor presenting several criteria of malignancy. Histopathological examination is required for a definitive diagnosis, complemented by immunohistochemical techniques. This paper describes a case of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in a cat. The diagnosis of mesenchymal neoplasm with high pleomorphism was suggested by cytology, performed through fine needle aspiration. Thereafter, the nodule underwent surgical excision, histopathological analysis, and immunohistochemistry. For immunohistochemical analysis, the panel included vimentin, S-100 protein, GFAP, von Willebrand factor, and cytokeratin. The markers that showed positive immunolabeling were vimentin and S-100 protein, confirming the mesenchymal origin of the tumor. It is possible to conclude that cytology was useful and reliable to pre-diagnose the neoplasm in this case. Added to the convenience and short time for execution of the technique, the aspiration cytology is recommended to suggest a diagnosis in similar cases and support the clinical management of the patient.
KeywordsCytology Neoplasia Schwannoma Feline medicine
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
- Cowell RL, Tyler RD, Meinkoth JH, DeNicola DB (2009) Diagnóstico citológico e hematologia de cães e gatos. Medvet, São PauloGoogle Scholar
- Koestner A, Higgins RJ (2002) Tumors of the nervous system. In: Meuten DJ (ed) Tumors of Domestic animals, 4th edn. Iowa State Press, Iowa, pp 697-738Google Scholar
- McGavin MD, Zachary JF (2013) Bases da Patologia em Veterinária. Elsevier, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Raskin RE, Meyer DJ (2011) Atlas de citologia de cães e gatos. Elsevier, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Watrous BJ, Lipscomb TP, Heidel JR, Normal LM (1999) Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor in a cat. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 40(6):638–640. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-8261.1999.tb00892.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar