A mini review of histological and genetic oral lesions in adult and elderly patients referred to Shiraz Dentistry School
- 116 Downloads
Oral diseases include all lesions which affect the oral cavity, periodontal areas and related structures and are associated with pain and discomfort, eating difficulties and problems with speech and communication. Therefore, familiarity with these diseases is necessary for dentists and clinicians. Over the past several decades, long-term outcomes associated with oral lesions and their management has been of increasing concern and dentists must be familiar with these pathological, histological and genetic lesions and how to manage them. This article is a mini review of some common oral lesions especially in adults and elderly patients who attended Shiraz Dentistry School, Iran, and is designed to help all dental practitioners to be more ready to deal with these lesions.
KeywordsOral lesions Genetics Halitosis Oral lichen planus
Compliance with ethical standards
This study was a mini review and was not funded by any grants. Also, this article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- Farzin M, Mardani M, Ghabanchi J, Fattahi MJ, Rezaee M, Heydari ST, Andisheh Tadbir A (2012) Serum level of matrix metalloproteinase-3 in patients with oral lichen planus. Iranian Red Crescent Med J 14Google Scholar
- Ghabanchi J, Andisheh Tadbir A, Darafshi R, Sadegholvad M (2011) The prevalence of median rhomboid glossitis in diabetic patients: a case-control study. Iranian Red Crescent Med J 13Google Scholar
- Ghapanchi J, Moattari A, Andisheh Tadbir A (2011) The in vitro anti-viral activity of honey on type 1 herpes simplex virus. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 5:849–852Google Scholar
- Ghapanchi J, Darvishi M, Andisheh Tadbir A, Derafshi R, Jokar S (2012a) Prevalence of oral pigmented lesions: a prospective study. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 6:417–420Google Scholar
- Ghapanchi J, Darvishi M, Mardani M, Sharifian N (2012b) Prevalence and causes of bad breath in patients attended Shiraz Dentistry School. A cross sectional study. Elixir Human Physio 53:12051–12054Google Scholar
- Ghapanchi J, Rezaee M, Bezaie M, Kjhalili S (2013) Prevalence of tongue abnormalities in dental outpatient of Shiraz dental school. Elixir Dentistry 57:14221-14223Google Scholar
- Ghapanchi J, Rezaee M, Kamali F, Lavaee F, Shakib E (2014) Prevalence of oral and craniofacial manifestations of hematological dyscrasias at Shiraz Nemazee Hospital Middle East. J Cancer 5:145–149Google Scholar
- Regezi JA, Sciubba JJ, Jordan RCK (2012) Oral pathology: clinical pathologic correlations. Elsevier Health Sciences, St. Louis, Missouri, USAGoogle Scholar
- Shankland WE (2000) Differential diagnosis of two disorders that produce common orofacial pain symptoms. Gen Dent 49:150–155Google Scholar
- Zakrzewska JM, Hamlyn PJ (1999) Facial pain. In: Crombie IK (ed) Epidemiology of pain: a report of the task force on epidemiology of the International Association for the Study of Pain. IASP Press, Seattle, pp 171–202Google Scholar