Process and characterization of photo-definable organic–inorganic dielectric for wafer level packaging
- 7 Downloads
The introduction of an organic–inorganic dielectric material into the redistribution layers in fan-out wafer level packaging technology has been investigated to improve mechanical stress, thermal stability, and electrical breakdown compared to organic dielectric materials. A photo-definable organic–inorganic dielectric material called polysilsesquioxane (PSSQ) has been studied in this work. The photo-definable PSSQ dielectric allows a simultaneous UV patterning and curing process. A PSSQ sample was prepared by spin-coating on a 6-in. Si wafer, pre-baking at 100 °C for 5 min, UV exposure, and then PGMA developing. The cured PSSQ films have a dielectric constant from 2.0 to 2.38 and dielectric loss from 0.0001 to 0.005. In addition, the 2 μm line patterns were obtained after 10 min of UV exposure. It has been demonstrated that PSSQ dielectric materials can provide excellent process capability of simultaneous UV patterning and curing process.
This research was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea funded by the Ministry of Science and ICT (No. NRF-2018R1A2B6003921), and it was also partially supported by the Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy and Korea Semiconductor Research Consortium support program (No. 10067804).
- Chiang C, Chang R (2008) Synthesis, characterization, and thermal properties of bridged polysilsesquioxanes-molecular nanocomposites. In: Europ. Conf. Comp. Materi., pp 1–10Google Scholar
- Fan X (2010) Wafer level packaging (WLP): fan-in, fan-out and three-dimensional integration. In: Proceedings of IEEE EuroSimE, pp 1–7Google Scholar
- Fan XJ, Han Q (2008) 2008 Design and reliability in wafer level packaging. In: Proceedings of IEEE EPTC, pp 834–841Google Scholar
- Jin Y, Baraton X, Yoon SW, Lin Y, Marimuthu PC, Ganesh VP, Meyer T, Bahr A (2010) Next generation eWLB (embedded wafer level BGA) packaging. In: Proceedings of IEEE EPTC, pp 520–526Google Scholar
- Lee ASS, Jo YY, Choi YM, Kim B, Baek K, Hwang SS (2016) Functional silsesquioxane coating materials. Polym Sci Technol 27:287–296 (in Kor.) Google Scholar
- Liu C, Chen S, Kuo F, Chen H, Yeh E, Hsieh C, Huang L, Chiu M, Yeh J, Lin T, Yeh T, Hou S, Hung J, Lin J, Jou C, Wang C, Jeng S, Yu D (2012) High-performance integrated fan-out wafer level packaging (InFO-WLP): technology and system integration. In: Proceedings of IEEE EDM, pp 14.1–14.1.4Google Scholar
- Tseng C, Liu C, Wu C, Yu D (2016) InFO (wafer level integrated fan-out) technology. In: Proceedings of IEEE ECTC, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- Yu D (2015) A new integration technology platform: integrated fan-out wafer-level-packaging for mobile applications. In: Proceedings of IEEE symposium on VLSI technology, pp T46–Y47Google Scholar