Influence of the side etching effect in DRIE on performance of electrostatic linear comb-drive actuators
- 61 Downloads
Side etching and scalloping are unwanted but unavoidable phenomenon occurring during fabrication process of micro electro-mechanical system devices with the deep reactive ion etching technology. This paper reports the influence of deep reactive ion etching fabrication errors on the geometrical dimension (as a comb finger shape, width of the suspension beam), electrostatic force and displacement of electrostatic linear comb-drive actuators. A number of deep reactive ion etching experiments were carried out in order to find out the optimal etching and passivation time, which allows to achieve vertical and smooth sidewall, as well as acceptable side etching value. Discussion and evaluation of deviation between the theoretically calculated and measured displacements of the electrostatic linear comb-drive actuator were also reported.
This research is funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (NAFOSTED) under Grant number “107.01-2015.18”.
- Kakara H, Goswami M, Singh BR (2012) Design and simulation of low-g single-axis SOI-MEMS capacitive accelerometer. Int J Contemp Res Engg Tech 2(1):63–69Google Scholar
- Kozeki T, Phan H-P, Dao DV, Inoue S, Namazu T (2016) Influence of gallium ion beam acceleration voltage on the bend angle of amorphous silicon cantilevers. Jpn J Appl Phys 55(06GL02):6Google Scholar
- Pant BD, Dhakar L, George PJ, Ahmad S (2009) Design of a MEMS capacitive comb-drive micro-accelerometer with sag optimization. Sens Transducers J 109(10):92–107Google Scholar
- Pham PH, Dao DV, Dang LB, Sugiyama S (2012) Single mask, simple structure micro rotational motor driven by electrostatic comb-drive actuators. J Micromech Microeng 22(015008):7Google Scholar
- Tang Y, Sandoughsaz A, Najafi K (2017) Ultra high aspect-ratio and thick deep silicon etching (UDRIE). MEMS conference 2017, Las Vegas, NV, USA, January 22–26, pp 700–703Google Scholar