Cascaded Mirror Array: design and demonstration of low-cost light-weight digital scanning
- 98 Downloads
A new digital scanning approach is proposed and its feasibility is demonstrated. The Cascaded Mirror Array applies an array of reflectors, with each reflector movable between discretized angular positions controlled by digitized electrical signals, to process a light beam by cascaded reflections to generate desired deflections of a light beam. An Uneven-Leg Tilting mechanism was devised to provide a very significant mechanical reduction ratio so that it can be used to generate very small tilt angles by comparatively large, finite displacements that can be easily created. A 4-bit 1D scanner prototype, built by simple non-MEMS methods, demonstrated point-to-point scanning at 0.0125° resolution from 1 to several hundred Hz. Studies based on finite element simulations suggest that by increasing electromagnetic driving force and reducing the size and mass of the prototype construction operating frequency up to several thousand Hz can be achieved. The new approach has the potential of making low-cost light-weight robust high speed scanners.
The authors thank the Ministry of Science and Technology of the ROC for partial funding of this research under the Project NSC 102-2218-E-007-009-MY2.
- Cambridge Technology (2017) Cambridge Technology of Lexington, MA USA, galvano mirror products and applications information on company website. http://www.cambridgetechnology.com/products/galvanometer-xy-sets
- Davis SR, Farca G, Rommel SD, Johnson S, Anderson MH (2010) Liquid crystal waveguides: new devices enabled by > 1000 waves of optical phase control. In: Chien L-C (ed) Emerging Liquid Crystal Technologies, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 7618, pp 76180E-1. doi: 10.1117/12.851788
- Du Pont (2017) Dupont Hytrel thermoplastic polyester elastomers design guide. Du Pont HYE-A11157-00-C0915. http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-and-resins/thermoplastics/documents/Hytrel/Design%20Guide%20for%20Hytrel.pdf (retrieved June 2017)
- Gooch & Housego (2017) Gooch & Housego, PLC, UK, products and applications information on company website. https://goochandhousego.com/product-categories/beam-deflectors-aobd/
- Griethe W, Gregory M, Heine F, Kämpfner H (2011) High-speed laser communications in UAV scenarios. In: Proc. SPIE 8020, Airborne Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems and Applications VIII, 80200B (May 25, 2011)Google Scholar
- Kalpakjian S, Schmid SR (2010) Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, 6th edn. Prentice Hall, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Matbase (2017) Matbase online database, https://www.matbase.com/material-categories/natural-and-synthetic-polymers/ (retrieved June 2017)
- MirrorcleTech (2016) Mirrorcle Technologies, Inc. of Richmond, CA, USA, company website and product brochure. http://mirrorcletech.com/pdf/MirrorcleTech_Device_Prices.pdf
- Sercalo (2017) Sercalo Microtechnology Ltd., Switzerland, company website and product information. http://www.sercalo.com/product.php?idsubcat=9#product-23
- Slocum AH (1992) Precision machine design. Prentice Hall, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- Tegler E (2016) Why talk to drones over radio when you can use lasers? Popular Mechanics. http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/drones/a19999/laser-communication-drones/ (18 March 2016)
- Urey H (2002) Torsional MEMS scanner design for high-resolution display systems. In: Optical Scanning II, Proc. SPIE, vol. 4773. Seattle, Washington, pp 27–23 (July 2002)Google Scholar