Theoretical and numerical investigations of an electroosmotic flow micropump with interdigitated electrodes
In this work, an electroosmotic flow micropump is proposed and investigated using theoretical analysis and numerical simulations. The micropump comprises an array of interdigitated electrodes on the top and the bottom surfaces of a rectangular microchannel. Theoretical analysis and extensive numerical simulations are performed to predict the pressure-flow characteristics of the micropump. The results of the model and simulations are compared which show good agreement with each other. The effects of various geometrical parameters including spacing between a pair of electrodes, gap between adjacent pairs of electrodes, width and height of the electrodes, and width of the microchannel and operating parameter including applied voltage on the performance of the micropump in terms of flow and pressure capacity is investigated.
KeywordsApplied Voltage Electrical Double Layer Electrode Configuration Maximum Flow Rate Interdigitated Electrode
The authors would like to thank the Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC), Department of Science & Technology for providing the financial support for the project.
- Bagdi P, Bhardwaj P, Sen AK (2012) Analysis and simulation of a micro hydrocyclone device for particle liquid separation. J Fluids Eng 134:0211051–0211059Google Scholar
- Bruus H (2008) Theoretical microfluidics. Oxford master series condensed matter physicsGoogle Scholar
- Darabi J, Wang H (2002) Emerging opportunities and challenges in micropumps. In: Proceedings of IMECE2002 ASME international mechanical engineering congress and exposition, IMECE2002-39586Google Scholar
- Kemprai P, Sen AK (2012) Electrokinetic assisted mixing in a microchannel with lateral electrodes. Micro Nanosyst 4(4):304–313Google Scholar
- Probstein (1994) Physicochemical hydrodynamics an introduction, 2nd edn. Wiley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Takamura Y, Onoda H, Inokuchi H, Adachi S, Oki A, Horiike Y (2001) In: Ramsey JM, van den Berg A (eds) Proceedings of the mTAS 2001, Monterey, CA, USA. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, p 230Google Scholar